cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
helpmeplzzzz
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

what is the Z5200 diagnostic image SUPPOSED to look like? issues with MK and PK

HP Recommended
Designjet Z5200 ps

Hi brilliant people,

I am having issues with my Designjet Z5200 ps.  We use it primarily for printing scientific posters.  The printer is printing in grey what should be black text.  Additionally in photos they are details in grey that should be black. 

When I printed the diagnostic image on the HP universal bond paper we use, the PK photo black is printing a dark grey and the MK matte black is not printing anything at all.  I've been reading that sometimes the matte black doesn't print depending on the type of paper.  Does it make sense that the matte black is not printing because of the bond paper? 

I just replaced the matte black ink with a brand new cartridge so I don't think it's a problem with the cartridge.  I also cleaned all the printheads.  Should I be concerned it's a problem with the printhead for the matte black?  Or is it an issue with the photo black?  I replaced that one within the last two weeks, as well, but unfortunately the replacement cartridge was expired.  But it's still printing dark grey so if it was an expiration issue would it be printing anything at all?

My understanding is I'm basically faced with choosing to spend money on a printhead for the ink cartridge that's not showing up at all on the diagnostic image or the one that I think is printing improperly but am not totally sure because I can't find any images through googling of what the image diagnostic is actually supposed to look like.

Please help, I've already thrown away $130 on an unnecessary new ink cartridge.

Thanks very much,

julie

4 REPLIES 4
jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the Z3100, Z3200 , Z2100 , the diagnostic print is the most quick & effient way to check colors.

Missing color does not mean ink was out or bad, but mostly related with printheads.... replacing ink first won't solve the missing color problem...

If you check your diagnostic print & if mat black missing.... you must check the mat black printhead , take it out &
shake it, the try it on a paper & see any ink mark...if nothing... most likely you have to replace it...

Myself mostly encounter printhead problems... inks not often.....I always keep one set of printheads

for spare....

For reference only...

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
helpmeplzzzz
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks very much, Jason! I read that the matte black may only print on certain paper so I’m wondering if it’s purposely not printing on the diagnostic image because I have it set to bond paper. Or the alternative that it’s supposed to be printing and the fact that it’s not showing up is indicative of an issue. Does that make sense?

helpmeplzzzz
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ok i was able to remove the printhead, shake it, test it out on paper, and reinstall it as suggested (thank you!).  the first diagnostic image i ran after that was terribly stripey so i ran the clean printheads function and it's better but still not perfect.  photos below.  do you think i need to purchase a new printhead or is there something else i should try?  the cyan is fine so that's why i'm not sure it's the printhead?

jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 810 37 84
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The following picture was my Z3100 print out . if any missing colors below name which indicated that printhead

is no ink out.... good luck....z3100colors.jpg

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation