Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Z9+ dr
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

In addition to being a portrait photographer, I also digitize artist's paintings and print reproductions on fine art papers and canvas. With both machines set up the same (print quality settings, colour space settings, printer manages colours, updated calibration and paper profile), the prints from the z3200 are slightly warmer than the z9. This will be a serious problem when I print the next limited edition print for an artist from the z9 and it doesn't match the colours of the previous prints done on the z3200. Service technician hasn't been able to figure out why. I would think they should be almost identical given the similar ink sets, etc. My question:

Is it possible to make slight adjustments to the z9's colour rendering output? If it exists, I would think would be something that might be buried deep in internal or service level menus. I'm not sure I want to complete the purchase of this machine if I can't resolve this issue.

A look at the 3D colour profiles show the z3200 to be a larger, smoother-edged space than the z9. The z9's a faster machine to be sure, but colour fidelity is my greatest concern.

Photo/computer/colour geek.
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you installed the full feature which includes the ICC Profiles and the HP Designjet Utility management tool? from there you may perform a color calibration:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/JaguarInstaller/macOS_HP_DesignJet_Installer.dmg

Else, if only a print driver were installed, I suggest installing the ICC profiles for your printer:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-designjet-z9-postscript-printer-series...

Also installing the HP Designjet Utility might be helpful to perform a color calibration as well:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-designjet-z9-postscript-printer-series...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked that firmware was the latest when it was first turned on; downloaded and installed newest drivers and HP Utility; added new papers on z9 with calibration and paper profiles; updated calibration and profiles on z3200. I just tried printing from Photoshop with Photoshop managing colour and chose the z9 Epson Premium Glossy profile. It resulted in a SLIGHTLY warmer print - almost imperceptable - that is going in the right direction. I also just tried a print with PHotoshop managing the colour and choosing the z3200 Epson Premium Glossy profile - just plain weird result!

The technician suggested a profile editor might be able to make the adjustments needed, but I carry 8 to 10 different papers, some with gloss enhancer options, so too much profile editing. I'm hoping someone in the HP universe knows how to make adjustments to the global colour printing characteristics that would apply to all papers.

HP Recommended

Hi,

In addition to ShlomiL's post -read this post (for example):

https://www.photodirect.com.au/4-steps-to-getting-accurate-colour-from-your-hp-designjet-printer/

In a few words - there is a lot of work to do and have to use external calibrator (like Xrite i1) for every paper and printer to reach not just similar images on both printers and similar results of prints after some time ...

HP Recommended

Many thanks Skuks for your help! I've been maintaining a calibrated work flow for many years and understand that a perfect colour matching universe doesn't exist. BUT, I was expecting a near perfect match between two printers from the same manufacturer using (almost) identical inks and printhead technology. I guess I've always been an optimist! The difference I see between these two printers I would expect if comparing to a Canon or Epson.

I have used x-rite calibration systems for my monitors back to CRT days. I taught portrait photography workshops on colour correction where the students' monitors were set to greyscale and they learned to rely on "the numbers" only (primarily CMYK values of skin tones that have a predictable "formula") that was one of the many gems bestowed on our industry by the great Dan Margulis.

My HP technician has become a good friend and is trying to help get me connected to "the person" we hope is up the engineering chain of command who can either explain this or offer a solution. Chris used to work for Kodak Australia in the past and knows his stuff. With people like him and you trying to help, I'm optimistic that I can make the move to the z9 with as little "pain" as possible. I love it's speed!

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot Photomacbc 🙂

I knew you are in the deep waters with colours like my boss 🙂 also a photographer. Your observation for "almost" identical inks means "differences" in colour output, sadly..and a lots of testing and calibrating and profiling...

However, optimism never ends 🙂 and I wish you best of luck to get job done soon as possible 🙂

Best regards

Johnathan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.