Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
DesignJet 500
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have been happily printing with my old DesignJet 500 using  a driver that was specific for this printers and for  Windows 10 

This seems to be no longer available as a download from the HP site. Is it available elsewhere and if it is, will it still work or was it removed because  there is now an issue with it?

How can I get my printer working again?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Just to add to this, to test the functioning of the plotter,  my son downloaded the correct driver for his  Mac and it works fine. It is ludicrous that there is readily available software for the Designjet 500  that works for Mac but not for a PC.

HP Recommended

Have you tried using the driver for the Windows Vista 32 bit OS?  Should work.  You'll need to change the OS on the driver support page to make it show up.  They don't list a driver for Win 10, as you probably have found out already.  But you can try the Win 7 driver or maybe even the Win 8.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply and my apologies for taking some time to respond -  I wanted to try the Win 7 & Win 8 drivers before doing so.

Try as we may we can't get these to work.

It took a while to appear but there was a Win 10 driver for the DJ 500 listed some months ago.  I am concerned that this have been removed due to a subsequent Windows 10 update? 

HP Recommended

When you say you can't get them to work, what are they doing/not doing?  Not loading?  Not showing up on the printer page?  Printer not responding to the driver after successfully loading?

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

First I apologise for my delay in replying.

The plotter was fine but suddenly stopped working . It isn't a problem with the plotter itself as my son has sent successful plots using his Mac. He tried all the available 64 bit before going back to University and none worked. I have just started looking at the issue again and the problem I'm having is that they aren't showing up on the printer page. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.