Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

We got 2 Designjet 800ps 42" plotters as government surplus. Unfortunately for security reasons from both plotters formatters with hard drives was taken out and destroyed. Now we getting Warning 05:10 and we do not know how to pass it.

Is it possible to make Designjet 800ps model work without formatter?

I wonder if anybody know how to reconfigure Designjet 800ps plotter to became Designjet 800 (no ps)

I think that if I can reconfigure BIOS to 800 model then plotter may work without formatter.

Can anybody help how to do this?

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

I found manuals for Designjet 800 what show how to change the model number. It say

1. Hold <up arrow> and <enter> key and power up plotter. Wait for beep

2. Go to SERVICE UTILITIES

3. Go to EEROM SET UP

4. Go to MODEL NUMBER

5. Choose new model number in my case C7780B for Designjet 800 42" with no PS

6. Save your setting, restart plotter.

If only it be that easy...... Unfortunately my plotter do not have MODEL NUMBER option. I have SERIAL NUMBER and all other options mentioned in manuals, but no option to change model number.

Am I doing something wrong? Could somebody help me how to change model number from C7780C to C7780B to make plotter work without formatter.

Is BIOS upgrade will help ?

HP Recommended
You don't need to change the model number. The error code should clear if you press the cancel button. You will have to use a raster driver to print as the HPGL drivers will not work without the card installed. That virtually turns an 800 into a 500 but should still work.
HP Recommended

I found the way how to get around 05:10 warning without buying expensive formatter.

I changed model number from C7780C(DJ800PS) to C7770B(DJ500).

Because my plotters by unknown to me reasons did not show option to change model number from service menus I had to improvise. I had ink supply station from DJ 500(C7770B), so I install it on my DJ 800ps(C7780C). The ink supply station has back up EPROM. When I turn plotter on it ask me that motherboard, or ink supply station, or both was changed. I specified that mother board was replaced. Then plotter was showing 00:01 error for some reasons.

After I reboot plotter it boots up as DJ 500, the warning 05:10 disappear, plotter not asking any more about formatter. Whole procedure took me about 30 minutes. It that easy!!!!

Now we have 3 working plotters ready for new home. They do not have formatters, but they print as good. Could someone tell me what formatter is for? What limitation can I expect without formatter?

I hope that this discovery will help other users to save they DJ800ps plotters form junk yards!

HP Recommended

The formatter card controls the hard drive, which 500s don't have.  It is also needed to be a post script printer, so you typically have to use a different driver when you don't have the hard drive version.

I'm glad you got yours working, just for reference, the ink tubes have their own serial or model numbers stored in them, which causes conflicts if you try to install a 500 system into an 800, since you swapped that out and removed the formatter you machine is now a 500.  Most people just put up with the 5:10 error code by pressing the cancel button, and the code doesn't come back unless you turn it off and back on.  You found the best solution though.

HP Recommended

Hello Okynek,

I have the same problem. We have the 800 ps. I have gone into service mode and changed the serial number it doesnt have a model number. so I just change it to all zeros, when it comes back up it asks me If I replaced the Main, ISS or Both. I have tried all 3 selections and every time it is giving me the error 00:01 Which is an Electrical System problem. So I was wondering if I missed step somewhere. Do I need to remove the Formatter Card and Drive? or do I remove just the drive off the board then put the card back in the machine. Thank you again for the help.

Steve

Thomas Printworks

HP Recommended

Hi,

The best you can do is set the printer to what it was and follow timwj1 recommendation

You don't need to change the model number. The error code should clear if you press the cancel button. You will have to use a raster driver to print as the HPGL drivers will not work without the card installed. That virtually turns an 800 into a 500 but should still work.

If any one else sees this post again.

PLEASE. DO NOT PLAY WITH THE PRINTER IDENTITY, OR YOU WILL END WITH A PROBLEM THAT CANNOT BE FIX

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
HP Recommended

Agree 100% with the poster above.  I just had a DJ510 today with the same problem.  Formatter/gl2 card was bad. Removed and just cleared the error warning by hitting the ok button.  Changed driver to the raster driver and plotter is working like a champ again.  Messing with printer identity or other settings may cause an issue you will not be able to recover from.

HP Recommended

ok So I am no longer getting the 5:10 error I am getting 1:10 Error. I have removed the card. Put it back in and Now I am just getting the 1:10 Error. Im about to Toss this Plotter in a Lake!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Here is the info for the error

System Error: 01:10

Problem

Description:

Electronics Module failure

Set the printer Serial number to what it was before and check if the error goes away.

If it does not, you might have to replace the electronics module, but there is no guarantee that it will fixed unfortunately.

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.