Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

Hello, recently bought designjet 500 plus 42" second hand, i was trying to print on canvas, i noticed that there are media settings on the front panel so i choose the canvas set since im printing on a canvas but the problem is that the black is not printing only the CMY head, i tried the other media set and all the colors and black are printing fine

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Use the Matte paper setting*  in the Enhanced Colors menu**, located at the bottom of the paper type menu on the control panel.

Black ink is not used on photo media because it is a pigment ink. Pigment ink has grains that won't penetrate the micro porous top layer on gloss or semi gloss paper, the pigment just lays on top of the paper and will rub off.

In enhanced color paper mode, the printer does an excellent job on photos. But again, the only photo quality setting that will use the black pigment is Matte, because the pores are large enough for the pigment to soak in.

*VERY IMPORTANT: If printing on real canvas using the Matte setting, be sure to turn off the paper cutter. The canvas may destroy it. Use a sharp knife like a box cutter or Exacto to cut the material.

**The Enhanced Color setting in the paper menu (located all the way to the bottom of the menu items) is only available if you have upgraded to the latest firmware, which is A.04.02

HP Recommended

thanks, i did tried that but the problem is that the canvas setting is much more brighter color than the matte setting, i tried adjusting the color on the file but the matte settings print color is a bit well... seems too dull, canvas set is good the only problem is that the black is only composed of yellow cyan and magenta which is i need to print the file in RGB mode, i cant print on cmyk cause there is no black at all in canvas set, but still, thank you!

HP Recommended

sorry i re-read my post, i forgot to mention that i have already converted all inks to pigment that's why im looking for a way to make the black prints appear on canvas set.

HP Recommended

Since you are using all pigment inks, have you tried other settings that use black, such as heavy coated paper, in the Enhanced Colors menu?

HP Recommended

Yep! Did tried that, but the colors are still dull compared to canvas set. Also someone told me to try use a ripper software such as onyx or dtp, they say that it can print on brighter colors. I just dont want to spend some cash on softwares that im not sure will be useful, maybe i'll try to find sime trial software to see if its working just as they say, anyway thank you for the reply.

HP Recommended

I just tried printing on coated canvas. I have the standard dye colors, but I got a substantial increase in color saturation by moving all the sliders in the driver to the right. 

It might be worth a try for you.

Under the Color tab in the driver, click Advanced Color Settings, and move all of the sliders all the way to the right,  including the Lightness slider.

My only other suggestion would be to increase color saturation in your graphics app, and increase the brightness by about 25%. This is what I do when printing on heavy coated or matte materials.

HP Recommended

Myself used dj500 dj800 printers to print on canvas & result quite satisfactory. 

try my steps :

After you loaded the canvas roll.... chose    canvas on display panel... it won't cut.

then run   color calibration on that canvas roll... only first time & later on if you use

same & no need to do it.

Download the HP DJ500/DJ800 icc profile....    then when you print & use the

HP DJ500/800  glossy icc profile  ( even you use mat media )

You can experiment with other icc profiles & pick the one you like.

After you printed on mat canvas & as you said it looked dull..  go to homedepot &

buy  the    rustoeum glossy varnish  UV   ... use a roller to apply... it will make day & night 

difference.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.