Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

We have been using the Designjet for years and have several colors set up to print grey and screened (252, 253, 254, and 25).  They just recently started printing purple.  I have run all of the diagnostics and calibrations and alignments available, and they all are good.  I have looked on several troubleshooting sites and have not had any luck.  I am using AutoCAD v 13.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Assuming the printheads are outputting all colors properly, try this:

The HP Designjet 500 and 800 series printers have a fix that has been implemented in firmware version A.02.08 and higher. This fix provides additional media profiles that prevent the blue to purple shift in color output. This fix is only applicable to the 500 and 800 series, and only if the printer has a firmware version of A.02.08 or higher. Once the firmware has been upgraded, follow the steps below to make the appropriate changes through the printers front panel menu:

Highlight the Paper menu icon on the printer's front panel display and press Enter .

Scroll to paper type and press Enter .

Scroll to Enhanced colors and press Enter .

Select the applicable paper type, and then press Enter .

Press the Menu key to return to the normal front panel display

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Assuming the printheads are outputting all colors properly, try this:

The HP Designjet 500 and 800 series printers have a fix that has been implemented in firmware version A.02.08 and higher. This fix provides additional media profiles that prevent the blue to purple shift in color output. This fix is only applicable to the 500 and 800 series, and only if the printer has a firmware version of A.02.08 or higher. Once the firmware has been upgraded, follow the steps below to make the appropriate changes through the printers front panel menu:

Highlight the Paper menu icon on the printer's front panel display and press Enter .

Scroll to paper type and press Enter .

Scroll to Enhanced colors and press Enter .

Select the applicable paper type, and then press Enter .

Press the Menu key to return to the normal front panel display

HP Recommended

This worked; it is is little streaky, but definitely grey.  Thanks!

HP Recommended
Your printheads could use a cleaning or replacement if you are getting streaks, it just depends on what quality is acceptable to you. You are welcome!
HP Recommended

Is there another solution to this problem?

My plotter:
800PS 42"
firmware: A02.14
new black print head

This solution does not work in my case. I ran out of ideas to try now, hoping for a suggestions.

I'm printing an exterior elevations page from ArchiCAD. In it, I have embedded 4 color samples as PNG images, which are just solid colored 512x512 images I scaled to my table,  colors are:

• (R:235,G:234,B:216)
  • (R:217,G:217,B:212)
  • (R:116,G:133,B:144)
  • (R:138,G:139,B:103)

From the Enhanced Colors menu on printer, I used the following with no fix to purple tint:

• Bright White InkJet
  • Plain Paper
  • Vellum
  • Natural Tracing
  • Coated Paper

Here are some of the things I tried:

• Plot directly from ArchiCAD
  • Plot from PDF which was exported from ArchiCAD
  • Plot using different PDF viewing software
  • Plot PDF using HP Instant Printing (v 3.6.0.998)
  • Crop PDF to just the affected area only print that portion.
  • Convert PDF to PNG and plot using Windows Photo Viewer
  • Convert PDF to JPG and plot using Windows Photo Viewer
  • Tried all quality settings
  • Tried "16-bit applications" option in troubleshoot menu
  • Tried "Send job as a Bitmap" in troubleshoot menu
  • Tried replacing the color samples with JPG images
  • Tried replacing color samples with native "fill" elements of equal RGB value

Plotter is capable of outputting correct colors, as I can print a color test photo page correctly.
So I thought what if I attach the jpg to the actual plan sheet. I did, and all of the
sudden my color samples printed correctly as well. When I moved the JPG to bottom of sheet or if I scaled it down too much so I can hide it in the title block, the purple tint returned.

see attached image below, all prints were done with the same plotter.

800ps purple tint.jpg

HP Recommended

BUMP

Hello I am having the exact same issue with my Designjet 800.

Are there any other solutions available?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you check if all your printheads are working fine?

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
HP Recommended

@Bps16 wrote:

BUMP

Hello I am having the exact same issue with my Designjet 800.

Are there any other solutions available?

HP Designjet 500, 510 and 800 Printer series Firmware Upgrade

A.04.02 28.5 MB Feb 27, 2009

Just update your firmware to this version. It is located here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-designjet-500-printer-series/25301

Make sure, if it's not already on the page, to set your operating system to Windows XP, either the 32 or 64 bit version as needed. This will install using any Windows operating system from XP on up.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.