Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet 510 42"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since May, 2020 Windows 10 major update I get "Operation could not be completed (error 0x000000cb).  The system could not find the environment option that was entered".  I also get "could not start print job".  I rolled back update and was able to print but Windows 10 updated again and won't let me go back to previous windows.  I'm sure I'm not the only person that this is happening to.  Does anybody have alternate drivers or workarounds?  Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, I had the same problem - 4 of my PC's refused to talk to the printer after the May 2020  Update.
I tried for hours and hours re-installing the drivers to no avail, was on the point of bining it when I thought - I will try and find a driver for slightly newer printer and see if I can force it to work. Looked at the Designjet T520 drivers and found a newer, generic HPGL driver here under 'Basic Drivers'

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-designjet-t520-printer-series/5263079

Downloaded this to my pc, unpacked the zip file into a new sub-directory, right clicked on the 3 files, only one said install, so I clicked on install. Nothing happened! Deleted all my existing HP designjet 510 drivers through the windows printer page the clicked on install new printer. Nothing appears. Click on  'The printer I want isn't listed'.

My printer is networked so I click on 'add using TCP/IP address'  press next

typed in my network address 192.168.1.XX

Select HP in the manufacturers list

Scroll to the bottom of the available printers list and select 'HP designjet HPGL2 Driver'

agree as necesary to the following prompts and hey presto you have a HP Designjet 510 working on Windows 10 again,

No need to throw it away.

HP you need to put this driver on the Designjet 510 driver page!

Happy printing

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

JimBranch: What windows update did you uninstall?

HP Recommended

Version 2004 was uninstalled but Windows reinstalled it and would not allow it to be uninstalled again.

HP Recommended

Hi, I had the same problem - 4 of my PC's refused to talk to the printer after the May 2020  Update.
I tried for hours and hours re-installing the drivers to no avail, was on the point of bining it when I thought - I will try and find a driver for slightly newer printer and see if I can force it to work. Looked at the Designjet T520 drivers and found a newer, generic HPGL driver here under 'Basic Drivers'

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-designjet-t520-printer-series/5263079

Downloaded this to my pc, unpacked the zip file into a new sub-directory, right clicked on the 3 files, only one said install, so I clicked on install. Nothing happened! Deleted all my existing HP designjet 510 drivers through the windows printer page the clicked on install new printer. Nothing appears. Click on  'The printer I want isn't listed'.

My printer is networked so I click on 'add using TCP/IP address'  press next

typed in my network address 192.168.1.XX

Select HP in the manufacturers list

Scroll to the bottom of the available printers list and select 'HP designjet HPGL2 Driver'

agree as necesary to the following prompts and hey presto you have a HP Designjet 510 working on Windows 10 again,

No need to throw it away.

HP you need to put this driver on the Designjet 510 driver page!

Happy printing

HP Recommended

I think it may have worked for me.  I'm now printing a test page that was stuck in the queue for 2 weeks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.