Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet T1100PS (Q6688A)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm the new owner of a Designjet T1100PS. So far I can't even get it into "Ready" mode. It starts and sits at 0% for a short while and then displays the error, "08:11 Restart the printer. If the problem persists, call support."

I've looked through the service manual and many posts by others but no luck so far. 

My formatter does not have any LEDs to display. I removed the formatter and reseated the connections to the HDD and also replaced the dead CR2032 battery (figured it wouldn't hurt) and replaced it but that didn't fix it.

It sounds like there are a few possible causes but I would rather not play, "Parts Darts" (throwing parts at the issue until one fixes it) since many of these parts can get pricey!

I see there's a Service Test Mode but to enter that you need to have the printer in "Ready" mode.

Any suggestion on where to start for the issue? Maybe starting on the least expensive/most likely  up to the more expensive/less likely solutions?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
42 REPLIES 42
HP Recommended

08:YZ (T1100/T1100ps/T620/T610 ONLY)

Problem Description: No communication between the Front Panel and the Main PCA.
Corrective action: Try the following:
  • Switch the Power Off from the back of the Printer and disconnect the Power cord from the wall socket. Reconnect the power cord and power On the Printer.
  • Check that the Front Panel interface cable is not damaged and is correctly connected between the Main PCA and the Front Panel.
  • Remove the Formatter from the printer, and then remove and reseat the Hard Disk Drive and the Hard Disk Drive Cable from the Formatter to ensure they are installed correctly.
  • Check that the connections between the Formatter and the Main PCA to ensure they are not damaged and are correctly connected.
  • Reseat the formatter PCA.
  • Check that the Printer has the latest Firmware version. If not, update the Firmware to the latest version.
  • If the printer displays an 08:YZ system error or the front panel is blank, and the printer was manufactured between August ’08 and June ’09, the issue could be caused by a failure in the SATA cable. Use the following to troubleshoot for this issue:
Replacing the SATA cable
   NOTE:
If the printer displays a 08:11 system error and it was manufactured between August 2008 and June 2009 the issue could be caused by a failure in the SATA cable. In some cases, a failure in the SATA cable which is included in the current SATA formatter (cable shown below) can cause this same error message.
If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi Repairatrooper,

Thanks for the quick reply! My printer was made on May 24, 2008. Just before the window of the SATA cable issue. But, close enough that it could be an issue. Not to mention that it's a quick and easy fix! But, is that SATA cable available separately or would I need to buy a whole new formatter board?

I've already pulled the formatter board and reseated the cables but I didn't pull the HDD from the board to reseat that connection. I'll try that tomorrow.

I suppose, while I have it out, I could connect it to my computer and run some tests on the drive to see if it even works!

Thanks!

Larry Formatter_Board-1.jpg

Save lives
Give blood.
HP Recommended

"I suppose, while I have it out, I could connect it to my computer and run some tests on the drive to see if it even works!"

Good idea.  I have a 5500 printer that occsaionaly will need to have the hard drive "jump started" to get it going.  I just take it out and hook it to an Esata cable and plug it into the Esata port on my laptop.  Takes right off.  If it works, you know what the problem is at least and it costs nothing to try.

But don't expect to be able to read any of the data on the HD. 

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Just pulled the HDD and connected it to my Windows 10 system via my SATA external adapter. I ran the program I use to adjust partitions and check drives to see if they're even alive (MiniTool Partition Wizard). As I understand it, if the drive is alive, this program should at least see it and be able to run some read tests.

After a bit of time it did find it but labeled it as "Bad Disk."

A few questions about replacing the drive:

• Do I need to get this exact brand model (Hitachi HTS542580K9SA00) or could I get any 2.5" SATA drive that's at least 80 GB? 
  • Could I replace it with an SSD?
  • Is there any prep I need to do to the new drive before installing it?
  • I thought I read somewhere that this is Unix (HP-UX?). If I install a new drive, will the firmware on the printer know how to format the drive and install any needed drivers or OS?

Thanks again!

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
HP Recommended

You won't be able to buy a HD off the shelf and plug it in.  It has to come preloaded with the HP proprietary firmware and software.  Easily available on Ebay.  But be careful what you buy; new vs. used HD.

Hopefully someone will chime in about replacing the HD.  I've read about people having trouble replacing just the hard drive with a used HD from another machine and having it not match up with the formatter.  But I'm not familiar enough with the details on the process.

You can do a google search to get the Service Manual and it should give you some guidance.  Maybe check that out before you buy anything.  But I'm certain you can't just buy a HD at Best Buy and plug it in.  All the info needed to run the printer is stored on the hard drive itself, not in the printer.

Let us know how you come out.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

I thought I had read somewhere that there was information specific to my printer (serial number or something maybe?) stored on the disk. If I buy one off of an eBay seller that's new, would this printer-specific information be set during start up or is there some procedure to initialize the disk when first booted? I looked through the service manual and didn't find any specific notes about this.

Thanks again!

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
HP Recommended

UPDATE: I ordered a replacement SATA drive. Should arrive this Friday. I'll keep everyone posted! 

Thanks!

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
HP Recommended

When a new part is installed in some DesignJets that part is then serialized to match the machine, that serial number is on the Hard Drive and Formatter and some parts you would not even suspect including the front panel.

The parts interchange issue seems to start at the T1300, so you might not have any issues with a T1100.

The interesting thing about the 08.11 error is that it is generated by the Front Panel, so it could be the Panel, cabling, formatter, or EMod.

If the Hard Drive does not help then reinstall the original part.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

UPDATE:

I got the replacement drive and installed it. But no joy. I get the same 08:11 error. I know that my old drive was bad since I removed it and tested it outside of the printer. It seems unlikely that the printer would go from working fine to then have two separate failures nearly at once. Certainly possible but unlikely. 

I got the disk from Tom Bush at designjetpartsFAST.com (username: Tabcom) I can't say for sure but my impression is that he's a reputable source and seems to be pretty good. 

So for now I'm going to assume that the drive I got from Tom works correctly and is the correct part. 

Any suggestions on what I should check out next? I would hate to just start throwing parts at it in hopes of eventually finding the right one. Seems like an expensive and time consuming way to fix something. 

I remember back in the 90's when I was a software developer at HP using the 720 desktop workstations (the clam shell style) they would occasionally have issues. The solution was to open the box and reseat the boards, connectors, memory... well, pretty much all connections. Would this be a good idea for this printer? Should I tear the left side apart and reseat all of the connections? Could that be the cause?

This printer lived in the offices of an electricians office with a lot of activity. Maybe ordinary dust and debris settled into it? Just a WAG (Wild A$$ Guess).

Thanks!

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.