Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

Just to clarify for myself, the USB A is the wide flat plug and the B is the square-ish plug, correct?

I don't think you can upload the firmware through the B plug.  But I'm not certain.  Maybe someone else can chime in on that.  Most formatters have both ports but not all.

Here's a link to an 1100PS formatter on Ebay that shows both A and B plugs.  Does your's look like this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Formatter-HDD-HP-DesignJet-T790-Z3200-PS-Z2100-T620-Z5200-T1100-T2300-T770-...

Do you have the service manual?  Or a copy of the owners manual?  Both are available online.  There's another way to upload the firmware using the ethernet port, if you don't have the A port for USB.  You'll have to use the EWS (Embedded Web Server) instead.  Instructions are in the Owners manual.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

@D Hook wrote:

Just to clarify for myself, the USB A is the wide flat plug and the B is the square-ish plug, correct?

I don't think you can upload the firmware through the B plug.  But I'm not certain.  Maybe someone else can chime in on that.  Most formatters have both ports but not all.

Here's a link to an 1100PS formatter on Ebay that shows both A and B plugs.  Does your's look like this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Formatter-HDD-HP-DesignJet-T790-Z3200-PS-Z2100-T620-Z5200-T1100-T2300-T770-...

Do you have the service manual?  Or a copy of the owners manual?  Both are available online.  There's another way to upload the firmware using the ethernet port, if you don't have the A port for USB.  You'll have to use the EWS (Embedded Web Server) instead.  Instructions are in the Owners manual.

Yes, you got the descriptions of the USB plugs correct.

Here's the top of my formatter card.

IMG_4207.jpg

That's the USB-B plug on the right. 

I've been assuming that since I can't access anything via the front panel that I wouldn't be able to access it via the web. Maybe I should try!

Yes, I have downloaded the owners and service manuals. 

Thanks,

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
HP Recommended

UPDATE:

Just tried to go through the setup process on my laptop with the printer plugged in via the USB-B port. The computer was unable to find the printer. But, if the formatter board is defective, and the USB port is ON the formatter, maybe this points to a defective formatter?

Thanks again,

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
HP Recommended

To access the EWS you'll need a cross-over cable like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056YN7QE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Connect one end to the printer and the other to your laptop ethernet port.  Ignore the USB port connection.  It won't do you any good.

The problem right now is finding the ISP address on your printer.  I'm assuming you can't get past the error on the front panel screen, correct?  If you can, the ISP will show up on the front panel once the printer is connected to the laptop. You'll probably need to go into the diagnosis or utilities menu to do that.  The service manual will tell you what buttons to press and in what order.  You might be able to find the ISP address in there.  You must hook up the cable first for the ISP address to show up.  My experience has been that the ISP won't show up until the two are connected.  It might be under a configuration menu.  Maybe someone else has another idea.

Once you get the ISP, type it into a new window on your browser.  No WWW or http prefix, just the ISP number (123.456.7.89 for ex.).  That will bring up the EWS screen.  I think you click on the "Settings" tab and the update firmware option should show up on the left hand of the screen.  You can download the file from there.

Have you used the service manual to run any of the tests on the electronics?

HP Recommended

I don't have a cross-over cable but I can make one. I have all the tools to make my own Ethernet cables with CAT6 wire. 

Unfortunately I can't get past the error message so I can't look up anything on the printer. 

Is there some other way to find this ISP number? Is there a default that I could try?

Since I've been unable to get past the 08:11 error screen I have not run any tests.

Thanks,

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
HP Recommended

You don't need to get past the error screen.  The printer will boot straight into the service menu using the proper key sequence on the front panel.

Look at page 3-5 in the service manual and it will tell you how to get into the service menu and diagonstic menu.  Somewhere in the configuration setup it should have an ISP number.

HP Recommended

@D Hook wrote:

You don't need to get past the error screen.  The printer will boot straight into the service menu using the proper key sequence on the front panel.

Look at page 3-5 in the service manual and it will tell you how to get into the service menu and diagonstic menu.  Somewhere in the configuration setup it should have an ISP number.

Hi D,

Sorry but either you're wrong or I'm doing something wrong. I had tried those steps before to get into service mode without any luck. I just tried again and still can't access the service mode.

When the printer starts, it first shows the progress bar (sits at 0% the whole time) and then goes to the 08:11 error screen. The power button on the front panel does nothing during either step. 

The instructions on page 3-5 say to hold the UP and OK keys and to then press the POWER button. I tried holding the UP and OK keys, turning the printer on with the switch at the back (right above the power cord) and then pressing and holding the POWER button on front. I also tried pressing and holding the UP, OK and POWER buttons and then switching the printer on with the switch on the back. Neither will get me into the service menu.

Any other suggestions? It sounds like if I don't have the correct IP Address I can't access the printer via the EWS.

Thanks,

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
HP Recommended

The 08:11 message is generated by the Control Panel, you can unplug the data cable from the Control Panel on a working printer and you will get the same message.

Since the Panel is not seeing the Formatter you will not be able to enter Diagnostic Mode.

The usual fix is a Formatter replacement.

On DesignJets that have a Type A, (rectangular), plug you can sometimes do an emergency Firmware Upgrade by plugging in a USB Drive with Firmware on it and power cycling the machine, (FAT32 Formatted).

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

The picture he posted doesn't show the USB A port.  Is there another way to upload firmware that doesn't use the A port or the EWS?

So you're saying that he can't even enter the diagnostic menu using the button sequence listed in the service manual?  I've never run into that problem so am curious myself.

I'm out of ideas, short of replacing the formatter.

HP Recommended

@SHThompson wrote:

The 08:11 message is generated by the Control Panel, you can unplug the data cable from the Control Panel on a working printer and you will get the same message.

Since the Panel is not seeing the Formatter you will not be able to enter Diagnostic Mode.

The usual fix is a Formatter replacement.

On DesignJets that have a Type A, (rectangular), plug you can sometimes do an emergency Firmware Upgrade by plugging in a USB Drive with Firmware on it and power cycling the machine, (FAT32 Formatted).

So it looks like I'll have to replace the formatter board. Is there any other test to confirm that it's the formatter board and not something else like the main board?

And, assuming one of my hard drives is good (the original or the one I just bought from Tom Bush), could I buy a used or new formatter board and use one of my drives?

Thanks!
Larry.

Thanks,

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.