Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet T2500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Designjet T2500 that will not load "small" rolls.  i.e. any rolls smaller than 36" in width.   Primarily I am trying to load a 17" roll.   The printer will attempt to load it, say it is correcting skew, and then after a few moments cancel the load with no error messages displayed.   I can sometimes get it to load after several tries (got it to work after 10 attempts once), but it will generally end up unloading after a print. 

I get the same results loading in the Roll 1 or Roll 2 position.

Meanwhile 36" wide rolls load and operate just fine.

The printer is running the latest firmware version, which as of this posting is MRY_06_00_06.1.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

we can start by cleaning the encoder strip and line sensor. I thought the difficult part is a line sensor. and don't forget the disable core attachment (maybe the core of your role isn't correctly put in the hub).

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Sometimes the media sensor that detects paper being loaded can get a little out of place making loading difficult. If you can try to shine a light up the feed path to locate it and use a piece of paper to actuate it and see if it is sticky or not recognizing paper.

HP Recommended

Hi,

about the media loading:

is the paper used supported? coated?

can you load a single sheet?

did you try with many rollers?

when loading paper: is the media can reach the carriage? you can see carriage pass and the line sensor ( you can keep the cover open during the media loading to see the line sensor red light)

as correction action: if using  a known good roll you can use below media actions from a menu:

Service menu (access code “3174” ) > Utilities > Disable core-attached detection and you set it as (On)

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Paper is supported, it is plain 20# Bond paper.  It is paper we have used for years.  It is only over the past couple months has it been problematic in loading.  I tried other 17" rolls with the same results.  I also tried a 11" roll I found laying around with the same results.   I find it strange that the large 36" rolls load fine!

I don't have any single sheets that large to test with, we only have rolls on hand.

The machine has 2 rolls.  I have tried loading the 17" paper in both.

I will try loading and watching where the paper reaches...   

When it does attempt to load, it goes a fair length into the machine, the same as a 36" roll would...   Then it says "correcting skew" and backs it out a bit... and then eventually backs it out all the way.

Are there some sensors that might possibly need cleaned?

HP Recommended

Hi,

we can start by cleaning the encoder strip and line sensor. I thought the difficult part is a line sensor. and don't forget the disable core attachment (maybe the core of your role isn't correctly put in the hub).

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Well thanks to everyone's favorite pandemic I was not able to get access to the printer until today.

After I downloaded the service manual and figured out how to remove it.  I am happy to report cleaning the line sensor appears to have solved my problem.  The sensor had a little bit of dried ink spray on it that was easily wiped away.

Disabling roll attachment detection wasn't required.

All size rolls load correctly now.  I have also noticed the machine no longer makes several attempts at correcting skew.  Rolls load without correction being required.

The service manual had some unnecessary steps to get to the line sensor.   You need only remove the plastic cover over the top the sensor (one screw) and then the single screw holding the sensor on the side of the head.   There is no need to remove the print head, or even move the print head to the center of the machine, as it is completely accessible with the print head in its resting position.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Sounds good , don't forget kudos 🙂

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Nice job and thanks for the follow up.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.