Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

Mike/All,

Thanks for the points stated relating to the issue experienced on the printer. I removed the left cover and checked most if not all the components that you mnentioned. Did not check the carriage bushing since I recently replaced it when I changed out the other parts on the printer. Also all the components mentioned are installed as should. So here is what I did. I left the left cover off and began the print procedure and observed that the carriage is actually banging on body of the printer i.e. the end where the rail and the encoder strip is attached to the printer body. So it seems it does not read or see the end of the carriage travel on this side. I went on to wipe/clean the encoder strip but the same thing happens. Also did a Carriage Assembly movement test and this resulted in OK.

Do you think this is a worn encoder strip causing this issue? This printer has not really been used much since it was installed. It has sat there for years and this is why I am not sure the encoder strip not used much could have gone bad.

Regards

Jacob

HP Recommended
Solutions and workarounds

Many times, data related 79:04 errors are resolved by means of hardware intervention. Since data is stored in physical components (RAM, EEROM and Hard Disk), replacing these components with new ones which are empty usually solves the problem. However, there are quicker and more effective solutions to these types of errors:
1.Clear all information that has been introduced by the user using the standard tools available in the printer:

1.Delete all jobs from the queue (from the Front Panel or the EWS)

2.Reset to factory defaults to clear the user’s configurations and calibrations

3.Delete any non standard paper preset in the printer (both the ones that have been created by the user and the ones that have been installed as OMES profiles through the EWS or the HP Printer Utility)

2.If step 1 did not resolve the issue, you can use Service Tools to clear additional information that could be causing the issue:

1.Start the printer in Diagnostics Boot Mode

2.Perform an EEROM reset

3.If step 2 did not resolve the issue, it is possible to completely clear the information on the Hard Disk and the different EEROMs, leaving them in an equivalent state to a new part:

1.Access the Service Utilities Menu

2.In the Secure Disk Wipe menu, set the Sanitize level to “Unsecure mode”

3.Execute the Disk Wipe. This takes 45-75 minutes and it will completely clear all partitions in the Hard Disk which contain user data, including the partition where the Operating System is installed. After the disk wipe has completed, a backup firmware version will automatically be installed from a backup partition to allow the unit to start up. This firmware version is very old.

4.The firmware in the printer should be upgraded to the latest official version as soon as the printer has restarted. After step “c”, any 79:04 which is caused by corrupt data in the printer will be solved
HP Recommended

Thanks DavidZuts,

I have followed the steps that you have shown and I got to the resetting of the EEPROM. However at this point and after a reboot the printer is asking for the "setup Printhead" to do the setup procedure but I do not have any setup printheads. Do you or anyone in this forum know where I can obtain the setup printheads? 

Or is there anyway to get pass this point since rebooting comes back to this same point?

I also did not see the Disk wipe menu in the service utilities. I do not intend to do this procedure just yet but was looking and did not see this menu.

Regards

Jacob

HP Recommended

Try removing the printheads, close the cover and see what happens

HP Recommended
It goes on to the next check and reports that two (2) of my ink cartridges need replacing because they have expired. I do not have these at hand presently so I abandoned the procedure. What would you suggest is the next crucial step ? Would it be the setup print head procedure or the replacement of the outdated ink cartridges??
HP Recommended
See if you can change the date as the plotter picks it up from your server or computer or at one time did. Try to reset the date so the cartridges will be not expired.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, however nothing has worked so far.

I have changed off Print catridges and have also adjusted the date as David suggeasted but whenever I try a test ptint the the carriage would move at a swiftly to the left and then bump into the left side and stop and here comes the error. Before trying to print everything else seems fine.

I am totally busted on ideas as to why the carriage seems to bump into the left side of the printer whenever a print is being processed. I believe this is the cause of the 79:04 error but simply do not have any idea as to what is causing it.

Jacob

HP Recommended

Has anyone found a solution to the 79:04 error listed in livrz post? I have a HP Designjet T1120 with the exact same problem. It gets a 79:04 error as soon as it starts to print a drawing. Thanks for any help.

HP Recommended
Hi,

The first thing is to make sure that you have the latest firmware on the printer
Then check if the problem is at the printer or the computer.

Remove any connectivity cables from the printer
Reboot the printer
Print any internal demo.
If you don't get the error, the problem is at your computer:
Driver
File
Application
Or the network if connected to one
Or connectivity cables

If you get the error check the status of the printheads, ink cartridges or try another paper present as a test
Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
HP Recommended

Although for an HP z2100 plotter, I was able to resolve the error 79:04 following an install of a new formatter and hard drive.

I entered the service menu and reset the EEROM to factory default (as found in section 4-46 of the service manual for the z2100). After a lengthy printer setup, we were printing again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.