Level 3
34 20 1 5
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 789 Consumables discontinued?

l25500
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I've been informed by my supplier that HP will not be making any new consumables for the 789 line, why would hp stop supplying consumables for this? The printheads and cartridges are exactly the same as basically every other HP printhead and cartridge.

Will there be a compatible product? Do I have to get all my consumables from China? 

14 REPLIES 14
jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 818 36 84
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

One window closed & other one is open.

I use quite a few  #70 printheads & ink cartridges. Maybe due the reason you mentioned, now those prices are very high, even some dumb AU seller selling #70 cartridges & printheads price over $120  on Ebayn.

From Aliexpress,  I bought some China remanufactured #70 printheads  at fraction of price... Received, tested & using them..... same & no differents.  

(   make sure remove tape before use . It fooled me first time & no ink came out )

Inks... I still have no 100% confidents... but using   non hp blacks, gray, yellow now... ok...

those non hp inks mostly not useable for first time use or after erom resets... I have two

44" Z3100, Z3200 repaired, but need inks to test... those non hp were not recongnized

by the printer...

0 Kudos
Ioan11
4 4 0 0
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Gentlemen

Have you found any solution or alternative to the discontinued consumables?

Our supplier informed us just now.

We are interested in learning how to obtain the printhead clean kit after HP stops selling it

Any clues will be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 818 36 84
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought few sets on Ebay for the #11 designjet 500/800, also #70 for Z2100, Z3100, Z3200.  took

2 weeks to arrived Miami, Florida from China.

All working good & I did not see any differents between both. then I saved a bunch hard earn cash.

I also bought 2 extra sets for spare & now I have peace of mind & not worry anymore printhead problems.

Check Ebay seller   [edit]        & they have many compatible printheads.. keep looking & he might

have much lower price for the same... cautious for shipping.

Ioan11
4 4 0 0
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Jason!

But we will need the cleaning kit, not the printhead  - the part number is CH621A, for l25500 42" -

I think they call it also maintenance cartridge

Sellers offer compatible inks and printheads but not the actual consumable that is located right below the printhead carraige and display/buttons of the machine on the right hand side of the printer

0 Kudos
jasonmiamifl
Level 7
880 818 36 84
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Go to Ebay & search it... there are countless ..

I buy all my  suppliers there for the last 15 years. Amazon has also, but prices are much higher..

0 Kudos
TylerJ1
Level 3
34 20 1 5
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately the future looks bleak for the 789 consumables.

What I have figured out, is that you can rewind the cleaning cartridge, but it does take some practice. You have to open it up and manually rewind the cleaning material (I use a drill with the right bit) But be careful and don't use too much force as you'll unscrew the bolt.

I'm now getting ink and printheads from Alibaba (get ready for about 20% faulty cartridges), I haven't had any trouble with colour mismatch, but some times this is not the case for printheads, usually printheads are very hit and miss and you'll get use to cleaning them before using them. My Alibaba supplier is very easy to work with and excepts paypal. Don't use Aliexpress it is useless.

I've already bought a used L26500 and now the L25500 is just a backup. I got it super cheap.

0 Kudos
Ioan11
4 4 0 0
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Sir!

0 Kudos
Ioan11
4 4 0 0
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I nearly faint imaginging that I will have to throw out to the garbage this machine that is in working order; it prints perfectly...

Tyler, is there any chance you can share with me the contacts of your supplier? My email is ivaylovs@gmail.com

0 Kudos
TylerJ1
Level 3
34 20 1 5
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I get my ink cartridges from [removed per Rules Of Participation]

There's hundreds of the same sellers on alibaba, but this guy seems pretty easy going and will give you new ink reset chips if they don't work. I like the sellers on alibaba because they accept paypal. Don't even worry about aliexpress it's a nightmare trying to get refunds and customer service.

The remanufactured ink seems to perform exactly the same as oem, but the reset chips on the back sometimes don't work, which is pretty annoying. That's why you need a supplier that will send new chips without too much problems. I have yet to find a supplier with perfect printheads, it doesn't seem to exist. They are all used and may work for a while before the printer starts to throw replace printhead errors. It's really hit and miss all of it.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation