Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Z3200
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Printer: DesignJet Z3200

This is a "new to me" Printer. I have used a DJ5500 in the past but thats my only other experience with Large Format Printers other than a Summa DC3+. Turn this printer on for the first time since aquiring it and the screen illuminates, but is blank, and the display makes three audible beeps. The power button blinks green repeatedly till the end of time.

Things I have tried:

Reseat the formatter board
--Same Result

Reseat the Display Panel Ribbon
--Same Result

Remove the formatter board and start without it
--Same Result EXCEPT no auduble beeps (blank screen and blinking power button remain)

Disconnect Harddrive and install Formatter Board
--Original Results (beeps, blank screen, blinking power button)

I have seen other people comment about the blank screen and blinking power button, but no one saying anything about the 3 beeps. I assume it must be similiar to a bios error code. Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge or suggestions about this.  I read through the repair manual for this, but it didnt touch on the beeping error codes. 

I am leaning towards it perhaps being a dead harddrive or bad formatting board, however I dont have access to any others to test with, and I dont want to just blindly throw money at the problem.  If anyone has any suggestions, or other diagnostic type tests to look into I would be happy to listen.

I have also read som others refferencing "lights" on the board.  The board the formatting board plugs into appears to have 2 red LEDs (approximate location shown below) The LED i am calling B is on steady while the power is on, the LED i am calling A flashes on only momentarily while being first powered on, then remains off. Not sure what those are indicating.

Z3200 Board.png

Thank you for the help!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Upon looking up replacement units I came across this:

https://www.lpscomputer.com/products/q6718-67020-designjet-z3200ps-formatter-board-hdd?variant=32484...

" Please note: Used formatters and Hard Disk Drives will not work in the Z3200 printer.  When the formatter is installed, the software on the HDD takes on the ID and password from the plotter and cannot be transferred to another Designjet Z3200. "

I am wondering if this is true or just a sales pitch, as I feel like I have come across other threads where people have talked about swapping used cards and diagnosing and remedying their problems.

HP Recommended

I ponied up for a new z3200 (never paired) harddrive and installed it into the formatter card...

Same Result.  Blank Screen and 3 beeps.  The 3 beeps have to mean something, I just wish I knew what. Maybe a power supply issue?

Any insight would be very much appreciated.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi GetSlideWays,

The Beeps you hear during startup would indicate an issue with any of the following (Mian Board, Formatter, Hard Drive, Power Supply and Memory) - similar to a PC computer startup check.

The Service manual for the Z3200 does not indicate what the beeps mean but looking at a totally different HP printers Service Manual the 3 Beeps would indicate a Memory Module Issue.

Another troubleshooting tool would be the 3 LED lights on the formatter (marked   I  II  III   )

What are they doing ? (ON/OFF/Flashing)

Roy K

HP Recommended

Thank you very kindly for your reply Ray!

Unfortunately I do not have the 3 indicator LEDs ( I  II  III  ) as I believe those were only on the Rev B formatter boards and mine is a revision A.

I can however see some LEDs on board that the formatting board plugs into. It appears to have 2 red LEDs i can see without the side cover removed (approximate locations shown in my first post) The LED i am calling B is on steady while the power is on, the LED i am calling A flashes on only momentarily while being first powered on, then remains off. Not sure what those are indicating, or if those coorelate to the LEDs on the Rev B boards

The machine had been powered off for about a year before I aquired it. I replaced the battery on the formatter board but perhaps there is another battery on the other board or the memory is effected by the long duration of being off?

I truly appreciate your reply!

HP Recommended

I was able to take a picture of the two LEDs I can see without removing the side cover.

The one i called "B" is marked DS1 and the one I called "A" is marked DS15

Z3200 Board Zoom.jpg

I am wondering if these coorelate to the I II III LEDs on Rev B boards, in which case I could use this chart:

(I would guess in that case the DS1 would be the power supply LED)

z3200 LEDS.jpg

If that theory proves true, I would need to located the other 2 LEDs (if they exist) by removing the side cover.  At this point (again if it holds true) it may indicate a bad PCA. However I am open to trying any other diagnostic tests anyone might have, or if there are ways to test the PCA itself, even by metering it out.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

I read your posts & seem you did not get to the point. I doubt PCA mainboard gave you  blank screen problem.

If original hardisk was bad & screen will be blank when boot up 

if replacement  new hardisk installed & screen still blank & beep sound which might indicate the wrong version

of hardisk or non functioning hardisk.

I got 2 times same problems directly from HP part store & finally got full refund.

Try not to touch the pca mainboard & you might get more & more problems.

I have both version of formatter boards & if you have questions, ask me...

(  Version B with 3?  led lights, when boot up & lights lite up one by one, when get to

the last one & screen will display .   even if formatter B used before, if new formatter A
board with A version hardisk, printer still work ok )

good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.