Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

I ran the firmware update tool on a Pagewide 477dw Pro connected wirelessly. The update failed and when the printer reboots it just displays a message saying that there is a corupt critical system file. I've tried cycling power, unplugging and pressing power for 30 seconds and plugging back in but no luck.

I figure I need to flash the firmware using a USB drive locally at the printer. All literature I've found shows that I need to copy a .BDL file to the thumb drive but I am having difficulty locating such a file for this printer model.

HP chat support is not assisting me in acquiring this file as the printer is a month past it's warranty.

Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello MakotoNinja,

Please rename the file you downloaded by replacing the ".rfu" filename extension with ".ful2", then plug the USB flash drive into either the front or the rear USB port.  Give the device a minute or two to read the file and start the reflash process.  If the reflash process does not start, try power-cycling the printer (leave the the flash drive plugged in).

Another possible method is to attach the printer to your network with an ethernet cable (a wireless connection won't work), which will allow the printer to download the proper recovery files from the hp auto update server.  (This won't work on a network which uses a proxy server, it needs to be a direct connection to the internet)

Please keep me posted on how it goes.

Kent G.
HP Retired, however my posts and replies are my own, not HP's.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Give it a Kudos!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello MakotoNinja,

This device does not use .bdl files, which is why you cannot find such a file for this printer.

Try this:

Download this file to an clean (with no other files) USB flash drive: pwpro_477dw_1908C_02182019.rfu

Then do the following:

- Power off the device

- Plug the USB flash drive with the downloaded file into the USB port on the BACK of the printer.

- Power on the printer

The printer should then begin the reflash using the firmware that you downloaded to the USB drive.

Let me know how it goes.

Kent G.
HP Recommended

Hi Kent,

I downloaded the .rfu file and copied it to a clean formatted 4GB USB thumb drive, stuck it into the only available USB port on the back of the printer, plugged it in and waited. After initial boot I still receive the same error message:

"A problem has occurred with one of the printer's critical system files. A printer update will be installed to fix this problem."

I see no signs of a firmware flash...IMG_20190607_081522.jpg

HP Recommended

Hello MakotoNinja,

Please rename the file you downloaded by replacing the ".rfu" filename extension with ".ful2", then plug the USB flash drive into either the front or the rear USB port.  Give the device a minute or two to read the file and start the reflash process.  If the reflash process does not start, try power-cycling the printer (leave the the flash drive plugged in).

Another possible method is to attach the printer to your network with an ethernet cable (a wireless connection won't work), which will allow the printer to download the proper recovery files from the hp auto update server.  (This won't work on a network which uses a proxy server, it needs to be a direct connection to the internet)

Please keep me posted on how it goes.

Kent G.
HP Recommended

Aloha Kent,

Renaming the file extension work well. You rock, much mahalo.

HP Recommended

Aloha MakotoNinja,

Glad we were able to work together to resolve the problem.  

Mahalo a nui loa, Kent

Kent G.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.