Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 13 (419 Views)

HPz3200 and Digital Negatives

Product Name: HPZ300

From searching old links, it appears that HP has completely washed it's hands of the Digital Negative/Platinum Print solution that was advertised a few years ago.(i still have all the PDF's and profiles from those links).

This was probably the best solution in the industry for the creation of digital negaives.. but for some reason, it's dropped.

There still is a large community of photographers who own Z3200's and are interesed in using it for this purpose. Could you release these files and articles into the public domain? (currently , there's a under-the-counter black market on these profiles and instructions)

thanks

Jim Collum

0 Kudos
Tutor
Message 2 of 13 (403 Views)

Re: HPz3200 and Digital Negatives

... and i'll give this about a week.. since the last question I posted about Digtial Negatives and the HPz3200 (as well as all other means of communication with the company) was ignored.  It seems that not only doesn't anyone care.. but I'm pretty sure there's no one left in the company that even knows what I'm talking about.

then i'll start posting the files to photography sites for upload by anyone who has a 3200 and is interested

Jim

Professor
Message 3 of 13 (396 Views)

Hello Jim,

I know what you mean, but unfortunately I have come across with 2 people that use this type of printing and you are the third one.

I agree with you. This work flow is great and the results you get are amazing.

I know that there was a lot of work involved on this and it is a shame that this option had no continuity.

Now, please take in consideration that this is not a HP direct line of support.

On this Forums we are users and IT professionals helping each other in personal time.

If you need to have HP involve, I will suggest you to contact HP directly over the phone.

Sharing the files with information with other people, I see it like a great idea as not only other people how need that information will have the benefit, but also people that was not aware of this option and look in to it.

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
Tutor
Message 4 of 13 (394 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks Mike!

Yea..  I know it's not the official chain to follow.. I've talked to support and they had no idea what I was talking about.. one insisted it had never existed in the first place.

I work at a large company, and know that our product management frequents customer forums looking for issues.. was hoping HP was the same (I worked for the original DEC.. so maybe some of that culture made it's way thru Smiley Happy  

I guess I was looking for an official yea/nay on the sharing of files (copyright and such).. but this is too good a solution to let pass away. (i know of a half dozen personally who are using it.. but you're right.. it's a niche market. Although niche.. at least the figurehead HP had for this was one of the leading fine art photographers (google Elliot Erwitt). The impact h is work has is probably worth a few thousand of the commercial outlets the z3200 is at   Smiley Very Happy  )

I'll post here for anyone looking for info and files.. my email is 

[personal information removed]

and if you are interested in the Digital Negative solution with hpz3200 printers.. feel free to contact me

thanks again!!

Jim

Tutor
Message 5 of 13 (391 Views)

sigh

Left my email in a prior response and it was removed. (and yes.. i never leave personal info i wouldn't want plastered on a billboard.. so me leaving my email address in the prior response was intentional.. and i'd of left that on a billboard as well)

so .. again... if you search this forum, and find this post while looking for a digital negative solution.. please google my name  .. you'll come to my web site.. and feel free to send email to the address on that site (billboard...)

signing off (with my real name)

Jim

Collum

Master's Graduate
Message 6 of 13 (375 Views)

Hi, myself used to take photos with the old Graflex 4x5 field & Toyo 4x5 view cameras, then drum scaned the films,

in order to get the highest digital images for print out large sizes.

Never heard or seen digital negative till I saw your post.

I have 2 Z3200 44" & willing to do test prints for you in photo paper & canvas. free.

if you have high resolution digital negative file & send me a link to download...

I google it & there were some sites mentioning about it & mostly print on metal etc.

Professor
Message 7 of 13 (368 Views)

Hi Jason

On the following article you can see a little about the type of prints.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/content_page8bbd.html?cid=7-10053-10768

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
Tutor
Message 8 of 13 (362 Views)

another video that's out there  ... specificlly using the z3200 (it was hosted on a non HP site, so it stayed) is at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdC1aBLunHw

The z3200 doesn't actually make a print.. it creates a negative that can be used to contact print an analog photographic process. The end print is usually plaintum (although there are silver profiles included in the HP kit that was distributed)

Master's Graduate
Message 9 of 13 (355 Views)

[ Edited ]

Scan from a 35mm film to make digital negative ??   I really doubt about the large format print quality,

Professional entry most were used medium format  120mm film & entry level to large

format were 4x5, then 5x7 & higher to 8x10. Ansel Adam used 8x10. Too sad, now digital photography
is the trend & film photography is going to end

Enclosed please find a photo I took in Cuba with 4x5 film, drum scanned. I printed many in 36" x 48" or large with full details, sharp. 
2RIVER.jpg 

Tutor
Message 10 of 13 (347 Views)

actually almost all alt-processes have gone to the digital negative route. Alt processes are contact only (UV light used). Using a 35mm piece of film will only get you a 35mm print.

Before digital negatives, you needed 11x14, 16x20, 12x20" field cameras (i have an 8x10 and a 12x20)

high res scan of 35mm , then printed to 11x14 digital negative gives an excellent platinum print (enough that the best in the field are doing it).  

35mmLeicaPlatinum1.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation