Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
designjet 5500ps
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

trying to connect my pc to my designjet 5500ps

plotter = designjet 5500ps

i/o card = HP jetdirect 620N

Router = netgear router  WGR614V9

PC = windows 7

My Question

on the cat 5   RJ45 cable will I need a straight or crossover cat 5 cable ?

Thanks

Bobby17

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You got it. Only time you need a crossover cable is when you connect a network printer directly to a computer's network port. When using a router or switch those items take care of communication and a straight rj45 cable is used.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Depends how you are connecting. If connecting direct to the pc, then you need a crossover cable and you will also need to setup the network card on the computer and the network card of the printer to the same frame manually. Example if you setup the printer to have an ip address of 192.168.1.3 then the computer will need to have an ip address for the network card to which the printer is attached of 192.168.1.x where x is any number except 3. If connecting to a switch or router, then you need a regular rg45 cable and just use the card reset to have the network card find an ip address within your network frame.

HP Recommended

David

Let me make sure I got this right

if going from jetdirect 620n to router    use a regular straight RG45 cable       and have jetdirect card reset to obtain an ip address within network ?

Thanks !

HP Recommended

You got it. Only time you need a crossover cable is when you connect a network printer directly to a computer's network port. When using a router or switch those items take care of communication and a straight rj45 cable is used.

HP Recommended

Thanks David

as soon as the straight cable arrives I will update you on my progress

bobby 17

HP Recommended

David

Cable came in and is installed

cable is CAT 6 Patch Cable, 4 Pair utp

ordered from ebay @ link below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14FT-Cat6-Bare-Copper-24AWG-Patch-cable-pick-from-8-colors/162328561929?ssPa...

I hope this is a correct cable to use

I did a reset of the I/O card to get new ip address

see images below to see whappened and in order of occurance

io reset.jpg

driver install results.jpg

HP Recommended

I am sorry but your screen shots for the install are to small to read. In any case you need to download the 32 bit driver from the hp web site. After you do this you run the program and when the box comes up with the path, change it to C:\5500 and click on unzip. Now on your computer you go to devices and printer and then click on add printer and then click on local printer and then click on create port and in the drop down choose standard tcp/ip and on the next page you type in the ip address of the printer and REMOVE the check mark from the query the printer and then choose next and when you get to the makers page you click on have disk and you navigate to the C:\5500 folder where you choose the inf file needed and continue to follow the instructions on the screen until finished.

HP Recommended

David

That fixed the problem and I can now send images from pc to plotter

When I try to print an image full size on a 36 inch roll the accual image only prints out as 8" wide and 6" tall

I want to plot the image 32" wide by 24 " tall

I tried Gimp  and Paint Brush and the same happens on both programs

Thanks for your help so far !

Bobby 17

HP Recommended

You need to setup the size of the paper in the print driver. You should hit the print under the file and when the screen comes up if the 1050 is listed then go to preferences and choose the size paper you want to use. If the paper size is not listed in the drop down then click on more sizes next to it and on that page you can even create custom page sizes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.