JohnK3
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

5.1 sound hardware

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 570-P076A
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My new Pavilion says it is capable of 5.1 sound but I need hardware to achieve this. There is no reference in the very limited documentation which came with the computer telling me what I need or where to obtain it. 

Appreciate guidance please. 

Regards

John

3 REPLIES 3
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,076
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! @JohnK3, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you would like to know how to setup 5.1 channel on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

As you mentioned you would like to know how to setup 5.1 channel on your PC.

Try the steps recommended below to setup 5.1 channel on your PC.

Place the subwoofer on the floor near the computer. Make sure that the connectors on the back of the subwoofer are easily accessible and the speaker faces forward.
Place the center speaker on top or in front of the monitor.
Place the front left and front right desktop speakers on either side of the monitor.
Place the rear left and rear right speakers behind the listening area.
For 7.1 surround, place the left side and right side speakers as close to the sides as possible, usually toward the front of the desk.
Following the directions that came with the speakers, connect the speaker wires between each speaker and the subwoofer, making sure to connect each speaker wire into the matching port.
   NOTE:
Use the longer speaker wires for the rear speakers.

Place the control tower (the volume control component) near the listening area where it is easily accessible, and plug the cable from the control tower into its matching port on the back of the subwoofer.
   NOTE:
If your speaker system supports SPDIF through a coaxial connection, connect an RCA-style coaxial cable to the orange SPDIF port on the back of the computer, and to the main speaker. Refer to SPDIF digital settings.
Connect the sound cable with green connectors into the Primary Front Speaker Out port on the back of the computer. Plug the other end of the cable into the green port on the subwoofer.

Connect the sound cable with black connectors into the Rear Speaker Out port on the back of the computer. Plug the other end of the cable into the black port on the subwoofer, next to the green port.

Connect the sound cable with orange connectors into the orange Center or Digital Out port on the back of the computer. Plug the other end of the cable into the orange port on the subwoofer.

Plug the speaker cord into the electrical outlet and turn on the speaker system.
Turn on the computer and test for sound.
Configure the sound settings using the steps in Setting the default sound device.

Refer this article to know more information about setting up 5.1 and 2.1 channel surround speakers.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
JohnK3
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi there - I’m OK with setting it up but the computer does not have the necessary sockets on the rear. It only had 3 sockets. The documentation I found on the web stated I needed additional hardware but gave no description of thst hardware.

What I’m asking is what additional hardware do I need and. Where fo I source it?

Regards

J
0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,076
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JohnK3, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you see only 3 ports on the rear of your PC.

Can you share a picture of the rear ports on your PC? It would help me for better understanding.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation