Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 6710
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I accidentally turned off the main speakers in Sound Playback manager.  It now only shows Realtek Digital Output, Headphones and Digital Audio (HDMI).  How do I restore the main speaker controls? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@PauloL

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand you've accidentally turned off the main speakers in Sounds and no longer have sound,

No worries as I'd love to help, however, I need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

Have you attempted a system restore? when was the last time it worked? Click here if you need information about system restore

While you try the above steps, here are a few more things you can do:

Step 1: Using the Microsoft Sound Troubleshooter in Windows 7

To automatically fix many types of sound problems, use the Microsoft Sound Troubleshooter.

Step 2: Check this video to ensure sound drivers are active and volume level is low: Click here

Step 3: Setting default speakers and testing them in Windows 7: Click here to watch a video regarding the same.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS AND STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS (Skip to step 4).

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@PauloL

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand you've accidentally turned off the main speakers in Sounds and no longer have sound,

No worries as I'd love to help, however, I need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

Have you attempted a system restore? when was the last time it worked? Click here if you need information about system restore

While you try the above steps, here are a few more things you can do:

Step 1: Using the Microsoft Sound Troubleshooter in Windows 7

To automatically fix many types of sound problems, use the Microsoft Sound Troubleshooter.

Step 2: Check this video to ensure sound drivers are active and volume level is low: Click here

Step 3: Setting default speakers and testing them in Windows 7: Click here to watch a video regarding the same.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS AND STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS (Skip to step 4).

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher-

Thanks for your post.  I had already checked the audio drivers,  which were indicated as working properly.  I also had used the Sound Troubleshooter, but none of its answers addressed my issue.  I then used System Restore, which solved the issue and reinstalled the Main Speakers on the Sound Playback tab in Sounds. 

Appently, if you delete any of the playback devices on the Sound Playback tab, there is no mechanism to reinstall it other than System Restore -  which, of course, also removes any updates or changes on your computer since that Restore Point, an unfortunate side effect.

PauloL

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.