Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 m6 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On May 13th, I performed an HP update to my laptop (Update: Conexant - MEDIA 8.65.165.10).  After this update, the audio on my computer shut off and for the past days keeps going on and off.  Also, when audio is off some videos with audio won't play.  I have contacted HP customer support twice on phone to fix this problem; however, in both cases when it was 'fixed' the audio goes off again after 1-2 hours.  Are there any suggestions on how to solve this problem?      

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@sak123

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand there are audio Issues after the recent windows 10 Update,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you change windows/HP updates to manual instead of automatic? So that you are in control of what's installed on your PC?

While you respond to that, please change both windows & HP updates to manual or "Choose what I install on the computer" from the control panel.

And then, follow the below steps:

Step 1: Right-click the sound icon in the taskbar located at the bottom right of the screen and select Playback Devices from the pop-up menu.

Step 2: Select the current playback device in use — by default it should be the speakers. Double-click on it to open its properties window.

Step 3: Go to the Advanced section and change the bit rate to either of the following: 24bit/44100 Hz or 24bit/192000Hz depending on the speaker configuration.

If the issue is still unresolved, you can try another method for restoring sound:

Step 1: Launch Start Menu, search for Device Manager and then launch it.

Step 2: Expand Sound and audio devices.

Step 3: Right-click on the current sound driver and choose to uninstall.

Step 4: Finally, click on Scan for hardware changes and the updated driver will be automatically installed.

That's it. Your computer speakers should now be able to play sound normally. If the sound is still not working, then try downloading and installing the latest sound card drivers for Windows 10 from the manufacturer's website.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.