Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 700
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi - I'm having trouble with the stereo setup coming out of my sound card using the jack on the back. Let me back up. I have my computer close to my a/v system and hooked up through analog and hdmi connections. My usual listening regimen is to run my media player through the analog connection to my amp to listen to my music. I began noticing a drop out of some stereo recordings on the right channel meaning that when I know there should be a louder guitar on the right channel, it is very low as if in mono. There is not a noticeable drop out on my system speakers as I'm pretty sure the amp is processing what it can to get sounds out of both speakers. When I opened my 'sounds' and tested the speakers, I got a 'ding' on the left channel but nothing on the right. I've updated the IDT software (downloaded from the HP site), changed the cable on the back of the computer going to my stereo and have swapped cables on the back of the stereo from left to right to rule out a wiring issue. Running the sound through the HDMI is no problem with each speaker 'dinging' pefectly. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps I can think of. I don't mind running through the digital cable except my speakers upstairs out of the amp are only there for analog signals.

Any suggestions? Hardware problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Asmita - thanks for your reply and suggestion. I'll check about a new sound card.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @srcstcbstrd1

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try these steps -

Step 1 Run Audio troubleshooter -

1) In Windows, type "Find and fix audio" into Search, or right-click the speaker icon on the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
2) Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.

Step 2 Re-install the Audio drivers -

1) In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
2) Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
3) Right click on the Audio drivers and click on uninstall.
4) Restart the computer. 

Also, try updating the computer - 

Step 3 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 4 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Let me know how that goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita - as far as your steps to resolving the issue go, I've tried the audio troubleshooter numerous times with the only suggestion being to turn off enhancements which I have ultimately done with no difference. As per the drivers, as I said in my post, I re-installed the drivers from the HP download page and restarted my computer with no difference. As of yesterday morning, my Windows is up to date and has been for a couple of weeks (auto updates set on my desktop). I downloaded the latest HP Support Assistant (a line or two should be added to the install warning the user that a similar program already exists and do you want it removed before loading new version - didn't realize until an error popped up which I had to look up to see what the issue was). Anyhoo - ran the audio tests and nothing was found at fault. Checked the 'Sounds' from the toolbar, went to 'configure' and tested the speakers with the same result. Ok sound on the left channel but absolutely nothing on the right channel. Tested the audio on the Assistant and although it seemed to work with the nice little ditty playing, I wish there was a way to test each speaker individually.

Thanks for your reply and the idea of loading the latest Assistant. I'll keep plugging away. If you or anyone else has any suggestions, I'm open to trying anything.

HP Recommended

@srcstcbstrd1

This could be an issue with the hardware. Please Contact HP in your region regrading the service options for your computer. 

Thanks!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita - thanks for your reply and suggestion. I'll check about a new sound card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.