tsabram
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Audio issue with pavilion desktop

HP Recommended
Pavilion m9340f
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a m9340f pavilion desktop that has been upgraded to Win 7 many years ago.  I was trying to get a webcam with mic setup and could not get the mic to work.  My audio driver was realtek so I downloaded and installed the most current driver from realtek and now I get no audio from the speakers at all.

The volume control has the red X and says 'No speakers or headphones are plugged in'.  I've tried many things already: rolling back driver, unistalling reinstalling drivers, setting audio to enable in bios on startup.

7 REPLIES 7
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
29,155 29,140 1,944 2,571
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @tsabram

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the audio is not working on your computer.

Don’t worry, we will work together to resolve this issue and It’s a pleasure to assist you in this regard.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• When was the last time the computer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to follow the steps in below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2r3O1YN

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
tsabram
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As I said in the original post, the sound was working fine until I updated the audio driver with the latest driver from the realtek website.  It also installed the realtek audio manager.  I have tried all of the solutions in your link.  The speaker icon on the bottom of the screen in the taskbar still has a red X over it and it says 'No speakers or headphones are plugged in'.

When the audio troubleshooter runs it says ' Audio device is disabled'.  My keyboard has buttons for mute and volume+ and volume-  and they don't work anymore either.

0 Kudos
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @tsabram

I recommend you to download and install the audio driver from the below link and check.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
tsabram
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can't because my machine originally had WIN Vista and I upgraded to WIN 7 several years ago.  It does not allow me to choose Win 7 for the download and the vista driver won't install.

0 Kudos
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @tsabram

I recommend you to download and install HP support assistant from the below link and it will automatically download and install all the drivers for your computer.

http://hp.care/2pyW5Qy

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

tsabram
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I updated drivers and still no sound.  When I click on the volume control in the task bar it does the sound troublshooting and I end up with this even though the bios indicates enabled on startup:

sound err msg.gif

0 Kudos
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,342
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @tsabram,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have already tried reinstalling the audio drivers and still having the issue, I would suggest the next step would be to run the test on the Audio, from F2 (Please remember to capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Depending on the test results, if all the test passes, I would suggest you perform a system recovery. Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So, please remember to back up your data before initiating system recovery. If for some reason the recovery fails. The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation