Post new question
Question

Community Manager
Message 1 of 5 (4,630 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can’t hear any sound from my computer

Product Name: Desktop PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My sound isn’t working in Windows 10. No audio at all from YouTube videos, music/media players, Windows system sounds, etc.

I am an HP employee, supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others.
Accepted Solution

Re: Can’t hear any sound from my computer

Have you tried a few different devices (headphones/speakers)? There could be a hardware issue with one of those devices. Also, keep in mind that most desktops don’t have built-in speakers, so you do need to have a device plugged in to hear anything.

If you’ve already tried a couple different pairs of headphones and speakers, the first troubleshooting step I would recommend is the easiest: restart your computer. Sometimes a single application can take control of your sound device and not let any other apps use it, but you can release that control by restarting.

Here are a few other steps you can try:

• Run the audio troubleshooting tool in Windows
  • Make sure your device is connected to the correct port on the computer, and if you’re using powered speakers make sure they’re plugged into a working outlet
  • Set the default sound device to make sure your computer is sending audio output to the correct device
  • If your computer came with Windows 10 installed, you can restore the original sound driver in HP Recovery Manager, or update the driver through Device Manager
  • If you upgraded your computer to Windows 10, you can update the sound driver in Device Manager

These solutions and more are explained in detail in this troubleshooter: Troubleshooting No Sound from the Computer

View solution in context
Professor
Message 2 of 5 (4,628 Views)

[ Edited ]

Have you tried a few different devices (headphones/speakers)? There could be a hardware issue with one of those devices. Also, keep in mind that most desktops don’t have built-in speakers, so you do need to have a device plugged in to hear anything.

If you’ve already tried a couple different pairs of headphones and speakers, the first troubleshooting step I would recommend is the easiest: restart your computer. Sometimes a single application can take control of your sound device and not let any other apps use it, but you can release that control by restarting.

Here are a few other steps you can try:

• Run the audio troubleshooting tool in Windows
  • Make sure your device is connected to the correct port on the computer, and if you’re using powered speakers make sure they’re plugged into a working outlet
  • Set the default sound device to make sure your computer is sending audio output to the correct device
  • If your computer came with Windows 10 installed, you can restore the original sound driver in HP Recovery Manager, or update the driver through Device Manager
  • If you upgraded your computer to Windows 10, you can update the sound driver in Device Manager

These solutions and more are explained in detail in this troubleshooter: Troubleshooting No Sound from the Computer

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (422 Views)

I went to contraol panel/soung and tested the speackers, which it says are RealTek and the test worked.  The speakers are actually an inexpensive set from LogiTech.  I then went to email and I got the "ding" when hard deleting a message for the first two.  Then it quit.  I then tried listening to a YouTube video and there was not sound.  The desktop, which is brnd new, has DTS Audio Control, but I don't know how it works.

Honor Student
Message 4 of 5 (420 Views)

Where is the audio trouble shooting in Windows? 

Tutor
Message 5 of 5 (156 Views)

I had same problem solve as follows

go to control panel

i9n seaqrch box type trouble shooter

then type troubleshooting

go to hardware and sound

check for drivers-are they uo-to- date? try advanced

if everything ok

restore to previous date

it should work

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation