Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc5850 Small Form Factor PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Compaq dc5850 Small Form Factor PC (ENERGY STAR) connected to my LCD Sony Bravia KDL-40NX710 and I don't have audio from the tv. The connection between the two machines has been tried both:

1. Through the pc's DVI outout to the tv hdmi input, with and without RCA cable for audio.

2. Through the pc's VGA output to the tv vga input for visual and an RCA Y cable throught the pc's rear audio output (green) to the tv audio L and R input sockets.

In both connections I get visual but no sound. I have upgraded all the drivers and I have even tried installing Windows 7 OS. Nothing! As far as I know, the digital device (my tv in this case, which is installed correctly and recognised with its full product name) should be listed in the sound control panel so that I can choose it as a default device. But this doesn't happen. I have right clicked and choose to show disabled devices but the tv does't show up. In the device manager it appears to work perfectly.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

For the first configuration, you wouldn't get audio out of the DVI port, so that is understandable.

For the second configuration, you should be able to leave the DVI to HDMI cable attached, so you get better resolution, and connect the white and red RCA jacks to the TV's sound input.

Your PC has the Soudmax audio.  Did you open the soundmax control panel app, and check the enable multistreaming option?  You have to restart the PC after enabling multistreaming.

That might help.

But the easiest thing to do would be to buy a cheap low profile graphics card with an HDMI port, and that should solve the problem.  Something like the AMD Radeon HD 6450.  It draws less than 30 watts.

HP Recommended

Paul thank you for taking time to answer me, I tried multistreaming before with no result. I gave it another try but no, nothing happent. I'm considering using a graphics card with hdmi output from another pc but I wonder shouldn't my HP pc be able to make such connection with the tv without installing a graphics card?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, with the second configuration using this type of cable, I have no idea why you aren't getting audio to the TV.

That should be working.

Close this window

HP Recommended

Problem solved and it was on my fault. I have many cables like the one you showed me and I made the assumption that the twin red-white jacks were going in my tv L and R audio sockets and the single black at the back audio output (green) of my pc. It was the other way around. I plugged the twin jacks at the pc output with the help of an audio adapter spike and the single black one at an input of my tv named PC/HDMI 2 Audio In. It worked perfectly.PER.506588_1

14977153013510_b

HP Recommended

That is great news.

Glad you were able to figure it out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.