Butterfly6
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Drivers for Windows 10

HP Recommended
HP 1387
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have no sound from my desktop speakers but the headset works fine.I have spent 10 hours trying detailed troubleshooting to no avail. The problem started about 2 weeks ago when I used the "Mute" function. I have a 6 year old HP 1387 with 16 GB RAM and a 500 GB solid state drive. It is a Windows PC running the latest version of Windows 10 64 bit; version 1803 which replaced version 1709. I even bought new speakers today but still get the dreaded red speaker icon "no audio device is installed" when the speakers are plugged in the speaker jack.

I called Microsoft Support. After checking my system they said I currently have no drivers for Windows 10 on my computer, only for Windows 8.1 And they suggested there was a Windows Update 3 months ago with several small updates since then, and that at some point it created an issue with my system. Every other program works flawlessly, just no sound on external speakers. Microsoft  also said HP does not have Windows 10 drivers for my system. I find that hard to believe.

How or where do I get Windows 10 drivers for my system? By the way, HP Support Assistant says there are no drivers available for my system.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,359 119,536 19,525 29,848
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

If this is the model PC you have...

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c03532948

See if installing this W10 IDT audio driver and restarting the PC, resolves the problem...

This package provides the IDT Tempo High Definition Audio Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp71717.exe

0 Kudos
Butterfly6
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. That was great to confirm the computer I am using, which was correct.

Unfortunately it didn't work. I still get the red speaker icon with the message "no audio output device is installed". There is no sound from the desktop speakers. The headset works perfectly when plugged in (at which point the red icon becomes normal).

When I check which version of Windows I am running I get Windows 10  64 bit version 1803. However the drivers only show Windows 8.1. Microsoft thinks this is the issue. But I do not know where such drivers are as I cannot find any online for my computer. Microsoft said to find drivers for Windows 10 to install on my HP1387 computer. Everything on my computer works perfectly except the speakers.

I know the liklihood is rare but is it possible there is a hardware issue with the RCA 3.5 speaker jack itself.  I have tried plugging in another speaker but that still shows no audio device installed.

I would think HP itself has windows 10 drivers for my system but online support shows nothing, and there is no phone number listed.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that driver didn't work.

Unfortunately, there are only W8.1 drivers for your model since it was made prior to August of 2013, accordng to the product release info at the link I posted above (15-Oct-2012).

HP only provided W10 drivers for PC made on or after August of 2013 according to their support policy below.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05195282

There is one other thing you can try to get the sound to work from the speakers...

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device category.

1. Select the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC under that category.

2. Select the Driver tab.

3. Click the Update Driver button.

4. Select  -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select  High Definition Audio Device (Not  IDT High Def...  this is important.) and click Next.

A warning message may appear,  but click Yes.

7. Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

8. Restart the PC.

The key is step 6.

If you still can't get the sound to work and you have ruled out the possibility of a band speaker jack ( I agree--unlikely), you can always get a cheap USB external audio adapter, such as this, and plug your speakers into that.

https://www.amazon.com/external-Adapter-Windows-Microphone-SD-CM-UAUD/dp/B001MSS6CS

0 Kudos
Butterfly6
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. You even included a product from Amazon, which I use often.

I still get the red icon "no audio output device is installed".

I had hoped HP would have support drivers as 2013 is fairly recent to cut off driver support. I wonder if there are aftermarket drivers for windows 10 for the HP1387. HP says in capital letters to not use aftermarket drivers. So I am not sure what to do, but speakers provide a lot of enjoyment. The external audio might be the way to go although I'm not sure about the audio quality (which has surpassed CD quality for internal audio software).

Thanks again. I truly appreciate the detail. It was very specific and easy to follow.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Those were the only two ways I could possibly think of that would get the onboard sound to work in your model.

There aren't any 3rd party IDT drivers that I know of to try.

You could try reinstalling the W8.1 sound drivers from your PC's support page if you have not done so already.

That has worked in some circumstances.

0 Kudos
Butterfly6
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for all your ideas. I bought a USB audio adapter, even that didn't work. Ha.

I am beginning to think it is a hardware issue so I will take the computer in for service.

It seems strange though that all the troubleshooters show no issues other than not recognizing an audio device installed.

When I bought the computer new (early 2013, parts show Dec 2012) it had Windows 8 installed, and it was set for auto updates, so I would think drivers for Windows 10 would install as soon as I installed the free Windows 10 upgrade when it first came out. I never thought about it until Microsoft Support pointed it out a few days ago. Everything works perfectly except the external speakers.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that the external USB audio adapter didn't work either.

It may very well be a hardware issue.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation