Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY All-in-One - 32-a1700ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I have the issue that during video conferences (MS Teams) the other side receives an echo of what they say from my computer. The PC was checked by HP already and funny enough they exchanged the SSD (without any result). But anyway....

First I was in believe that the in build microphone was the root cause, so I attached an USB mic and the problem was still there. After that I attached a bluetooth speaker and used this one and ... echo was eliminated immediatley. So the speaker is the devil. All Hardware tests went fine. If Hardware is fine the driver is quiet likely the real root cause. 

Two audio drivers are installed:

1. Realtek Audio - Realrek Driver 6.0.9091.1 dated 28.12.2000

2. Microsoft Speaker Audio - Driver 10.0.19041.1 dated 06.12.2019

I would like to upgrade or downgrade them for testing, but I con not find any page for those. 

Can somebody assist in finding those?

Many thanks in advance.

(I tested also switching off noice cancelling without result)

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@flipo-2001 --  the other side receives an echo of what they say from my computer. 

So, the sound-output from their voices into your speakers is being picked-up by your microphone, and transmitted to the participants? 

Does the echo stop if you "mute" yourself? You still will hear them, but will they still hear the "echo" ?

Do all the participants hear the echo, or just one of them?

If you decrease the volume on your speakers, does the echo get quieter?

HP Recommended

Hello, all the others can hear the echo of themselves. It is stopped when I am muted.

Have not tried to adjust the volume to see if the echo is getting louder or so.

HP Recommended

@flipo-2001 -- can you try a headset, so that you hear the others, but your microphone does not "hear" anything from your speakers?

HP Recommended

Hi,

internal speaker + internal microphone = echo

internal speaker + external microphone = echo

external speaker + external microphone = no echo (like e.g. headset)

external speaker + internal microphone = no echo

HP Recommended

@flipo-2001 

internal speaker + internal microphone = echo

external speaker + internal microphone = no echo

So, it seems that the internal speakers are too close to the internal microphone,

causing output from the internal speakers to be picked-up by the internal microphone,

and the audio being sent out from your computer.

HP Recommended

You are kidding me! Speakers and microphone are built in by HP.

HP Recommended

@flipo-2001 --   Speakers and microphone are built in by HP.

I agree.

You are kidding me!

No. It is a fact that some of the volume from the HP speakers is being picked-up by the HP microphone.

When using external speakers, the microphone is not sensitive-enough to pick up any of the sound.

HP Recommended

Hmmm... first of all many thanks for your assistance. Nevertheless, the Envy system has the speakers below the screen and the microphone is on the top next to the camera module. This is the in-build largest possible distance. 

I have connected some Bose speakers on the more or less same height of the B&O speakers (and directly next to the screen). Sorry, but I doubt that the effect would be that big.

Otherwise it would be a heavy and serious design mistake.

HP Recommended

@flipo-2001 -- The Envy system has the speakers below the screen and the microphone is on the top next to the camera module. This is the in-build largest possible distance. 

That is a good design, to maximize the distance, and, hopefully, to minimize the "feedback", given the limitations of the physical height of the computer.

> I have connected some Bose speakers on the more or less same height of the B&O speakers (and directly next to the screen). Sorry, but I doubt that the effect would be that big.

Nevertheless, you are getting the effect, with the internal speakers, but not with the external speakers.

Perhaps, the external speakers are more "directional" -- not "wide-angle" sound output -- than the internal speakers.

> Otherwise it would be a heavy and serious design mistake.

That is possible, if you have set the volume of the speakers to "high", and set the "input level" on the microphone to be "most sensitive".

Do others in your session ever comment that your voice is "loud"?  If so, use the Windows "Sound Mixer" to reduce the level on your microphone.

I have never been employed by HP, and thus cannot speak to the design of your HP computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.