Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Small Form
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi

I am trying to determine which type of 3.5mm audio plug to put into the front panel connector for using headphone with a microphone to do video communications.

could be - sleeve, ring and tip (mono sound and microphone)

or

could be - sleeve, ring, ring, and tip (stereo sound and microphone)

Have read through the manuals and nothing is said about which type audio connectors.pdfto use.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Everyone

Just plugged in the 4 pole connector on my combination microphone/headphones for my mobile (cell) phone and the pop-up box wanted me to select either headphone or microphone - no selection for both.

Looks like the right socket is for headphone only and the left one is for either headphone or microphone - user selectable and not for both on the one plug.

All explained by doing - but not by the paperwork in the manuals.

#5 is for either microphone or headphones - pop-up menu appears after a 3.5 mm plug is inserted to select which one but not both at the same time.  (So I cannot use my phone headset)

Thank you

Wires

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

I can't see your image but probably you can see mine

e800_g2.png

e800_g2a.png

(a) All standard 3.5mm (stereo) headphones will fit and work.

(b) For the second port on the right, all standard 3.5mm headsets will fit and work. Its default is for microphone, all standard 3.5mm mono microphones will fit and work.

Note: probably around 95% of 3.5mm headphones and microphones on the market now are normal/standard.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi BH

So it looks like you are saying the the plug needs to be sleeve - ring and tip to be mono earphones and microphone and not sleeve - ring - ring and tip as most cell (mobile - Australia) phones are.

Three contact instead of four contact - Yes?????

Wires

HP Recommended

Hi,

You can go to JB HiFi and ask them or look at these

1. Headphones:

Stereo 3.5mm Gold Jack Socket to 6.35mm Plug Headphone Earphone Adaptor

2. Headsets :

Evolve Jackstick

3. Probably you already know the mono plug

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

front panel connectors.png

Is the #5 connector a 3.5mm three or four pole???

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your image is not the same as mine. Anyway, port #5 is for Microphone and headphones and it will ask you which one to plug in (stereo line-in/microphone or headphones). They use normal stereo 3.5mm which is

Stereo 3.5mm Gold Jack Socket to 6.35mm Plug Headphone Earphone Adaptor

Or 3 pole.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone

Just plugged in the 4 pole connector on my combination microphone/headphones for my mobile (cell) phone and the pop-up box wanted me to select either headphone or microphone - no selection for both.

Looks like the right socket is for headphone only and the left one is for either headphone or microphone - user selectable and not for both on the one plug.

All explained by doing - but not by the paperwork in the manuals.

#5 is for either microphone or headphones - pop-up menu appears after a 3.5 mm plug is inserted to select which one but not both at the same time.  (So I cannot use my phone headset)

Thank you

Wires

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.