Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 595-p0074
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have never been able to use the front headset port for capturing a microphone. Even though the port is supposedly for headphones and microphone, I am only able to use it as headphones. I tried uninstalling the Realtek driver and installing and old version: Realtek HD Audio Codec Driver 2.81 for Windows 10 64bit as was suggested by other users who had the same problem. Supposedly, an older version of the Realtek audio driver showed a popup dialog asking "which device did you plug in" and from there one would be able to choose headset. It looked as follows:

popuppopup
However, the audio driver version I got (2.81) does not show this pop up. I was wondering which version of Realtek showed these options, or how can I let the computer know that I plugged in headsets and not heaphones?
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

hi

The version you indicate makes me think that you probably have the realtek driver, not from HP
It often happens that the wrong driver causes this type of malfunction, because not intended for this model of computer, although it can be used.
So if it is, try the one from hp directly

Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver (Windows 10 v1709)

6.0.8924.1 Rev.B88.3 MBApr 12, 2020Download
--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I installed the driver you provided me with, but I continue to face the same problem. I cannot use a headset on the front port; the microphone is unusable.

In the Sounds setting, they show up as headphones:

headset_error.JPG

Any ideas as to whatmight be causing this?

HP Recommended

I do not have the same material as you, so difficult to test / compare
What I know from some hp documents already consulted
Sometimes it is the headphone / microphone connector, which does not match the audio port correctly.
Sometimes it can be a driver problem
We would have to see all the audio parameters, I could not be able to add more, but just this as a picture, does not help me much to understand
Do you have or can you test a different helmet?

--------------

the hp driver is taken into account, installed?
From memory, it was the most recent for your model, but remains quite old, if we can find another, I do not know

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.