Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glazzjoe
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

HDMI Input **No Audio** (HP ENVY Recline 27-k150xt)

HP Recommended
HP ENVY Recline 27-k150xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the HDMI input on this computer and when I plug in an external source (PS4) it will display the video fine but absolutely NO AUDIO. I've done extensive searches online and can't find a single work around for this issue. HDMI video/audio is a basic function of these ports so it should work as advertised.

Can anyone shed any light on how to get the audio to come through the HDMI input? Thx

12 REPLIES 12
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,575 24,227 2,824 10,337
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@glazzjoe, welcome to the forum.

This sounds to me like it may be in the settings of the PS4.  Have you checked to assure that the settings are correct?  I blieve I have seen a similar problem where the sound settings in the PS4 weren't set properly.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
glazzjoe
Author
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, the audio output setting on the PS4 is correct and is set to HDMI out. I've also tried a second HDMI source (Xbox One) and get the same result of no audio.

0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@glazzjoe wrote:

No, the audio output setting on the PS4 is correct and is set to HDMI out. I've also tried a second HDMI source (Xbox One) and get the same result of no audio.

Thank you for the additional information, @glazzjoe.  You did what many have not done in the past.

Did you try a different HDMI cable and  check the settings in the Control Panel / Sound to assure that settings are correct?

0 Kudos
glazzjoe
Author
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, all settings are correct on the PC and I have tried 3 HDMI cables.

The issue has something to do with software because prior to the Win10 upgrade the HDMI port would play the audio just fine. Since the upgrade it has stopped working. There are many instances of this issue online and I am just dumbfounded that HP hasn't addressed this seemingly simple software issue with Win10. 

0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The next step is to go into the Device Manager / Sound, video and game controllers / right click on each entry on at a time / select Update Driver Software / Search automatically for updated driver software.  If there is an updated driver it will be found and installed.

0 Kudos
glazzjoe
Author
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I appreciate you taking the time to reply and provide the basic steps in the process, but I've already checked everything the OS has in place in terms of tools. There is an issue between the hardware in this computer and the update to Win10 that is causing HDMI input audio loss and HP has done NOTHING about it. 9/10 people don't use the HDMI input for anything, so because it is isn't as big of deal across the user base, HP has chosen to ignore it. They are well aware of the issue, but haven't provided any corrective action. As a result, this functionality is completely lost for all of those with the 1st genersation HP Recline PCs with the Win10 upgrade.

As a result, I just purchased the Sony PS4 Wireless Headphones which allow me to get the audio straight from the PS4 and bypass the crappy HP hardware configuration issue.

0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am sorry for being so basic, but we never know the knowledge level of the member requesting help.  So, I begin with the basics.

The truth is, HP is not providing Win 10 drivers for older models.  During the upgrade to Win 10 many of the generic drivers were included in that version.  At this point, they furnish the drivers for new models that come with Win 10 installed from the factory.  I don't have any idea if how far back they will go.

0 Kudos
glazzjoe
Author
Level 1
15 12 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

And because HP is not giving adequate consideration to legacy HP owners, I will not purchase another HP product going forward. That's a shame, too, because in the last 2 years I've purchased 4 HP PCs and an HP printer. I also am the procurement officer for a Dept of Defense agency and will be sure to insert this sustainment scrutiny of HP when our $14.5M purchase of new IT is made next month.

0 Kudos
JAM99
3 3 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Glazzjoe, I finally found a fix to the audio problem for the HP Recline.  HP Inc has published a driver, but haven't done a good job of publication.  One other point is the fix is not a complete fix (at least for my device which is identifcal to yours).   Here is the driver that you want to download and install:

http://support.hp.com/au-en/product/hp-envy-recline-27-k100-touchsmart-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/...

After you install it, I would like to hear back from you on whether the problem is completely fixed or not.  In my case what I am seeing in the Sound tool are two devices.  One is for Headphones and the other is Headphones/Speakers.  Not sure why I am seeing this additional Headphones device because when you set Speakers as your default device, it will switch over to Headphonses once yo plug in your headset.  What is happening at my end is that when I select Headphones as default device, the sound comes out of the PC speakers.  If Headphones/Speakers set as the default device, then the sound comes out of the Headphones.  So in other words the wires are criss crossed.  Sound from the Headphones are also working for the HDMI input port. 

Please try it and let me know.  If this works for you similar to mine, then it's just a matter of requesting HP Inc to make the necessary changes to the driver.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation