Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Linux

The displayport does not show up as a sound output. Does it mean it it is not supported in hardware? I read the manual and there is no mention of it.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

DisplayPort supports audio.

You're running Linux. Try the specific Linux OS forum. You probably need a driver.

Regards

HP Recommended

Driver is enabled. The manual of this particular PC does not mention digital sound output. Sad. I was hoping I could use it as a Kodi frontend. 

HP Recommended

Hi Segfault,

Audio should work if your PC has DisplayPort. Do you have integrated graphics or discrete graphics?

I mess around with Linux but have problems with fan speeds on Nvidia graphics cards.

I really don't know enough about Linux to provide any additional thoughts.

A Linux Forum should be the best place to go in your situation.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for thinking with me. I use Linux since 1997. This was also the year I configured my first kernel. It my sound arrogant to you, but I do not believe there is something I missed in my kernel. Additionally, I tried with Ubuntu live CD and it didn't see any digital audio outputs, either. This is Intel integrated graphics. I haven't used Windows since 2004. I was hoping someone with Windows installation can tell whether this hardware has digital audio. 

HP Recommended

Hi Segfault,

You're very welcome.

You can review Intel DP audio specs at this site (Link).

Audio is available on DP.

Do you get sound when using HDMI?

Regards

HP Recommended

This box has only VGA and DisplayPort. And there is no digital audio output in aplay -l, analog only. There is only one option handling HDMI/DisplayPort in Linux kernel and I have it turned on.

CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_HDMI=y

Thsi is aplay -l from my desktop, to show what it should look like.

~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]

Note, it is up to hardware manufacturer to implement features. This Elite 8000 is rather old, perhaps back then digital audio wasn't considered important ...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.