Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Everyone,

I'm having some extremely horrible distorted sound issues on the HP ELiteDesk 800 G3 SFF running Windows 10 (x64) with the latest  driver installed: 

Conexant High Definition Audio Driver

8.65.186.53 Rev.A

I've also tried the default Windows Audio Driver and it's having the same results.

I've tried disabling all sound enhancements under the Playback Devices, among a number of other things but nothing seems to resolve the problem. This is happening on multiple systems with the same build type.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

56 REPLIES 56
HP Recommended

Having similar issues. Audio has absolutely no bass, and if I dont have the audio output set to 8% volume or so, is overpoweringly loud on headphones. Doesn't matter what output jack I use, all sound the same.

Tried all the basic troubleshooting steps such as reinstalling audio drivers and disabling sound enhancements. Still sounds terrible.

HP Recommended

@Bashal yeah that's exactly what's happening as well, the sound is extremely flat and if it's above a low volume level even a tiny bit it's very loud / distorted. Also tried every output, same results on all of them.  My best guess is the driver has issues.

HP Recommended

Ditto on all the previous posts. No Bass and no response from my Subwoofer.

Tried every driver available.

tried diffrent jacks.

Is a fix in the making or work around available? 

HP Recommended

I bought a USB dongle that adds a headphone jack. You could also just use headphones or speakers that plug into a USB port, it bypasses the on-board audio chipset. USB audio devices have their own digital-to-analog converter built in. If your computer doesn't automatically make the USB device the default audio output, you'll have to manually switch it by right-clicking on the speakers/volume icon, selecting "playback devices", click on the usb device from the list and then click the "set default" button.

I needed an immediate fix and could not wait for a driver update, because I do audio editing (among other things) and the current sound quality was completely unaccaptable for that task.

HP Recommended

I am also having the same issue described with my new HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Tower PC.  I went the route of using an external audio card to fix the issue until I could find a resolution.  Not at all what I like to do, but it sounded that bad.  The built in sound card has a very tinny sound, no bass. Sounded just like it was coming out of a tin can.

Waiting for a fix now.

HP Recommended

Yep. Add my name to the list. The sound out of this Elite Desk inhales vigorously. HEY HP - Solution Please???

HP Recommended

I have same poor quality sound experience with the HP EliteDesk G3 Mini using the Conexant driver 8.65.186.53 - the sound is really skinny. Customer has BOSE desktop speakers and they sound great if we play from a phone or ipod; but from these PCs the sound is horrible. We need this fixed ASAP.

HP Recommended

Same here on Prodesk 400 G4 machines. Driver version 8.65.186.52 - no bass at all. Sound is to no use at all.

What i have done and seems to work is to use Microsoft native WIndows 10 bulitin driver -  and tell Windows to use this driver - then sound is back to normal. Just hopes WIndows will keep using it´s own driver and not suddenly decide to replace it with Conexant´s version.

Conexant needs to fix this driver so we have full bass.

/Robert

HP Recommended

@SuperRobert wrote:

Same here on Prodesk 400 G4 machines. Driver version 8.65.186.52 - no bass at all. Sound is to no use at all.

What i have done and seems to work is to use Microsoft native WIndows 10 bulitin driver -  and tell Windows to use this driver - then sound is back to normal. Just hopes WIndows will keep using it´s own driver and not suddenly decide to replace it with Conexant´s version.

Conexant needs to fix this driver so we have full bass.

/Robert

Robert: How do you make this switch. I see the Conexant driver under Device Manager. But how do I get the built-in driver from Windows 10? Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.