Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy All-in-one-27-b245se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Envy All-In-One's internal audio suddenly stopped working. (Coincidentally, the HP supplied wireless mouse also stopped working at the same time but I will skip that issue)

Tried a lot of things. Reinstalled latest High Def audio drivers from Intel site and from HP site; Updated BIOS from HP site; Powered-down and reset hardware etc. etc. - nothing helps

The little speaker icon at the bottom right has a red cross over it. When the cursor hovers over it, the error message says "No Audio Output Device is installed"!!. When I open the System/Sound page in the control panel, it sees no output or input devices.

The Intel Realtek driver is there and says "working properly" 🙂

Anyway, I am a bit frustrated  with something as simple as the sound system failing on this over-priced desktop. 

Incidentally, external speaker does work. 

I am hoping this is not a hardware problem.

Any new ideas would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Use only driver from Hp

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310123/error-codes-in-device-manager-in-windows

This message would indicate that the device is not connected ..
Since the audio must be integrated into the motherboard, it may be a hardware problem.
Try Hp support assistant, to reinstall drivers

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello
Which driver has been tested exactly (link, version etc)
"The Intel Realtek"
No either it's intel or it's realtek, these are two different things
So, there are several audio drivers available, depending on the windows version, not knowing which version is installed, I propose the latest driver here:

Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver (Windows 10 v1909)

6.0.8710.1 Rev.A349.1 MBNov 18, 2019Download

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

This worked, Thank you!

HP Recommended

😉

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

I have downloaded the latest drivers from the Intel website and the HP website to no avail. 

Intel Website:  AUD_Win10_64_6.0.8716.1.zip

HP Website:  Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver (Windows 10 v1909) 6.0.8710.1 Rev.A349.1 MBNov 18, 2019

Even after the driver updates the following points are observed i

- The Internal speaker/microphone does not show up under default Device Manager view. I can only see it after I turn on "show hidden devices"

- Then the sound devices appear under two listings:

- Audio Inputs and Outputs: 

- Both Microphone and Speakers are greyed out

- When I click on the them and view properties, I see the following error message:

"Currently the hardware device is not connected to the computer (Code 45)"

- The driver (under properties) is the following:

Driver Date: 2/19/2019   

Microsoft Driver

Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1

- Sound, Video and Game Controllers:

- Again several devices (hidden) are greyed out except for " Nvidia Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)"

- Clicking on "Realtek High Definition Audio (SST)" and selecting properties shows the same error message

"Currently the hardware device is not connected to the computer (Code 45)"

- Driver details under properties:

- Driver Provider: Realtek Semconductor Corp

- Driver Date: 3/8/2018

- Driver Version: 6.0.1.8395

HP Recommended

Use only driver from Hp

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310123/error-codes-in-device-manager-in-windows

This message would indicate that the device is not connected ..
Since the audio must be integrated into the motherboard, it may be a hardware problem.
Try Hp support assistant, to reinstall drivers

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

I ran the UEFI diagnostics for Audio and it works. So, I don't think this is the hardware.

HP Recommended

OK. Finally fixed the problem by restoring Windows to before a recent update. Looks like the update screwed up both my audio and my mouse.

Now everything is working normally. 

Thanks for the helpful responses.

HP Recommended

BTW, this link has a very useful list of things to try to fix this audio problem..

[edit]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.