Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to use my new computer HP Envy all-in-one with curved screen to watch foreign TV which I receive via a satellite dish and a connecting box.

My old computer (a Sony all-in-one) never had any problem: I simply connected an HDMI cable from the back of the box to the “HDMI In” connector of the all-in-one, and, once I selected the Input correctly as the signal coming from the box, I was all set!

Sadly with my new HP ENVY, even if it does have an “HDMI In” at the back, I am not able to receive any sound from the satellite TV. I am getting video image from the satellite channels — but no sound at all. 

What is even more disappointing is that I especially bought new this expensive model because not only of the curved screen but because it had an HDMI IN (Andy not only an HDMI OUT connector).

Could someone please help? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Annab69,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Windows outputs sound to only one device at a time. Select the desired output device by setting the default device. The sound then changes to the correct devices as cables are connected or disconnected. When switching between the sound on the computer and the sound on an external monitor or TV, open the sound devices to ensure the correct output device is selected.

If the device has not already been configured, the HDMI output does not display in the sound properties unless an HDMI cable is connected between an HDMI device and the HDMI port on the computer.

NOTE:

Depending on the operating system and the type of sound chip, the images displayed in this document might differ from what you observe when following these instructions on your computer.

Configure the audio output when an HDMI cable is connected. This allows you to select HDMI as the default when you are using an HDMI connection. When you are not using an HDMI connection, the sound settings default to your computer's speakers and headphones.

1. Connect the HDMI cable to your computer and to your output device.

2. Right-click the Volume icon  on the taskbar, and then select Sounds or Playback Devices.

Clicking Sounds in the Volume menu

3. The Sound window opens. On the Playback tab, select Speaker/Headphone or Speakers and Headphones, and then click Set Default.

NOTE:

Use Default Devices for audio output devices such as headphones or speakers. Use Default Communication Device for making and receiving phone calls.

Setting Speaker/Headphone as the default audio device

4. Select the output device connected with the HDMI cable, and then click Set Default.

Setting output device connected with the HDMI cable as the default device

5. Right-click the output device connected with the HDMI cable, and then select Show Disconnected Devices. The HDMI cable must be connected when it is configured.

Selecting Show Disconnected Devices

6. To view all the available sound devices, right-click any device shown in the Sound window and select the Show Disabled Device and Show Disconnected Devices options.

If you continue facing the issue, continue troubleshooting following the steps in the below article.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01186408

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.