Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TP01-2000na Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have just got my new PC and expected to be able to connect all my speakers to the audio jacks.

I can get the font speakers, centre speaker and sub woofer to work but the third jack port only recognises the rear speakers as a mic.

As this is supposed to support 5.1 surround how do I connect the rear speakers?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Dibbles1

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

I understand that you are unable to configure a 5.1 audio setup with the HP Pavilion desktop. 

1. Connect the speaker wires for each speaker to the subwoofer, making sure to connect each speaker wire into its matching connector.

NOTE: Use speakers that have the longest wires for the rear speakers.
  2. Place the control tower (the volume control component) near the listening area where it is easily accessible, and plug the cable from the control tower into its matching connector on the back of the subwoofer.

3. Connect the sound cable with green connectors into the Primary Front Speaker Out connector on the back of the computer. Plug the other end of the cable into the green connector on the subwoofer.

Figure : Speaker out port

Speaker out port
  4. Connect the sound cable with black connectors into Rear Speaker Out connector on the back of the computer. Plug the other end of the cable into the black connector on the subwoofer next to the green connector.

Figure : Rear speaker

Rear speaker port
  5. Connect the sound cable with orange connectors into the Center or Digital Out connector on the back of the computer. Plug the other end of the cable into the orange connector on the subwoofer.

Figure : Center and subwoofer

Center and subwoofer speaker port
  6. Plug the speaker's AC adapter into the electrical outlet, and then turn on the speaker system.

Connecting to a home stereo system

The type of connection that you can make depends on your computer and stereo receiver, you can use either an analog (RCA style) or digital (SPDIF or HDMI) connection.

• An analog connection uses an adapter cable to connect the audio out ports on the computer to the RCA-style connections on the receiver.

• A digital connection uses a SPDIF or HDMI cable to connect between the computer and the receiver.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply 

Unfortunately your solution does not fit the PC purchased.

There are three jack sockets on the rear, Green, Blue and tan.

The green and blue sockets can be set up for the front speakers and the centre speaker/subwoofer but the tan socket  can only be set for mic. Big clue in that the green and Blue sockets are marked as speaker outputs and the Tan is marked as a mic input. This socket cannot be changed to an output. 

I tried installing the realtec software but it made no difference.   Whichever cable is plugged into the mic socket it automatically is assumed it is a mic.  

IMG_1107.JPG

I have the front speakers connected to the green socket and the centre/subwoofer connected to the blue socket.

The speaker system I am using  is a logitech 5.1 surround system with three jack plugs, one for the  front speakers, one for the centre speaker/subwoofer and one for the rear speakers. This has has worked on my  old computer without problems.  I have built three different computer systems in the past and the speakers have worked each time with no issues.  First time I decide to buy a HP system which I made sure was 5.1 audio and it appears this is not the case. 

It is more likely to be 2.1 audio and in which case this has been mis-sold by the vender.

The motherboard according to hp support website is:

• HP name: Erica6
  • SSID: 8906

The audio is 

• Audio Codec: Realtek ALC3601-CG
  • Audio jack presence detection

A search on the internet cannot find anything for the codec listed above.

Brian

HP Recommended

@Dibbles1

Thank you for posting back.

I did go through the product specification and found out your computer support 5.1 audio output. However, connecting to the Mic port will not output sound as it's meant only for Mic. 

•  Note: Microphone (on some computers, the microphone can also be configured as the Center/Subwoofer out through the Sound Manager software)

If you still need additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team if you would like to continue troubleshooting. I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.