Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP xw4600 workstation as standard from purchase.  It has the oAAoh mainboard and the standard PSU. 

The graphics card has been playing up and I needed it replaced.

I therefore purchased an ASUS GEFORCE GT 640 DDR3 to replace.  However, it fails to work.  Can you please advise of a graphics card that will work, and/ or the equal spec that will allow for equal standards to the ASUS.

Many thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
Working cards are listed in the pc's specs:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01184908

Also these are business cards (vs. gamer cards GEFORCE) it's astonishing that your card doesn't work.
Any hints about failure?
The GT640 has pci x16 3.0, but it should be compatible to 2.0 (Gen.2) like mentioned in the specs.
Your psu should have enough power ....

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
HP Recommended

I bought ZOTAC GT640 and it works so fine on my xw4600 (call it A).

So I bought exactly the same graphics card for my another xw4600.

Now that xw4600 (call it B) does not boot; just issues BEEP sounds.

I first thought this was graphics card problem; I swapped the card but

B does not boot with the old card.  A works fine with the new card.

Those 2 xw4600s are the same.  Same memory, same PSU, same CPU....

What is different is BIOS version.  A has 1.06 and B has 1.22.

I checked the card on another xw4600 which has 1.22 BIOS, it does not boot.

So I'm looking for old BIOSs for xw4600,... HP does not seem to provide them.

The BIOS flash tool HP provide does not backup BIOS, so I cannot retrieve 1.06 from A....

HP Recommended
@ryota,

maybe you can store the bios from 'A'!
In 'former days' it was recommended to save the old bios before updating it. But you couldn't do it in windows - you had to prepare a disk or a stick to update bios, so it was updated before boot-up.

HTH
V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
HP Recommended

No, the DOS flash tool HP provides has no option to backup the BIOS.

I have exchanged my 1.22 xw4600 with one of my colleague's 1.06 xw4600,

so my problem is solved; I have two xw4600s with GT640.

HP Recommended

Hi, I wish to know if the ZOTAC GTX 550Ti 1Gb DDR5 PC x16 video card will work on my hp xw4600

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.