cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
Mackisios
Level 1
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Headset Microphone stopped working after Windows update 20H2

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Today I realized that my mic had stopped working. After some research I found out that the problem was caused by the Windows 10 update 20H2 but I couldn't find any solutions that worked for me. I updated to 20H2 more than a month ago so I don't have the option to go back to an old version of windows because I deleted the files. Anyways this doesn't matter because if there is a fix for this I wouldn't do it by going back to an older version of Windows. I tried troubleshooting through windows, troubleshooting through HP Support Assistant, made sure "Allow apps to access your microphone" was turned on and I checked everything in Sound Control Panel to make sure it was normal but nothing of the above fixed the problem. I thought by updating to the latest Windows version it might fix it but no result. Currently I am on version 21H1. Then I tried to see if anything else needed updating (drivers etc.). So when I checked in HP Support Assistant it said it had 4 updates ready. I clicked on the notification and it told me that 3/4 drivers which were all name to something about Realtek HD audio weren't available anymore and then I was left with only 1 update available. So the HP Support Assistant basically told me the problem. But the thing is how do I fix it? 

1 REPLY 1
Mackisios
Author
Level 1
3 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Also I forgot to mention that I did some tests on the mic and I could only hear a static noise. Then I went into Discord's mic test and I saw the Input device being set to the Microphone and the Output device being set to Speakers/Headphones. And I got confused by this because I remember in the past 100% it was the opposite way so I checked if the audio jacks were in the right places and they were. I tried changing them places but the mic wasn't working still and the Input Outputs were still showing reversed devices. 

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation