cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TM650
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

How can I get 5.1 channel sound from PC to hometheatre receiver?

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Slimline 400-300 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been using Apple TV to play see movies that are locally stored on my HP Pavilion Slimline 400-314 computer.  Apple TV is connected to my home theatre receive via HDMI.  So, I'm getting full sound that plays to all of the connected speakers and subwoofer (5.1 channel).  But, the sound is not optimal. So, I wanted to connect the Pavilion directly to the receiver and play movies on the PC and have the video and sound output go directly to the receiver and bypassing Apple TV.  The video options on the Pavilion are VGA or DVI.  The sound options are...I'm not sure. I'm thinking the options are the stereo Sound Out jack from the sound card and DVI.  Hooking DVI to HDMI on the receiver produces a great picture.  No complaints.  But, just using the DVI to HDMI setup, I cannot find a way to get sound.  So, I have to use the jack from the sound card that only provides stereo output to the receiver.  And, that stereo sound is not even good.  How do I get digital sound from the Pavilion to the receiver?  I thought DVI supported video and sound.  Is this not correct?  How do I hook up the Pavilion to a home theatre receive and get digital sound?  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
iomare
Level 15
Level 15
11,181 11,121 2,201 4,482
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

DVI does not alays carry sound, it depends if supported by video card. So probably in this case it is not supported as the Graphics card is integrated. What kind of input does your home theater have? Optical? Probablu the best option and for highest quality sound is to get a USB sound card and attach to your PC. 

Hope it helps,

David

0 Kudos
TM650
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi David,

The home theatre receiver has HDMI, optical and component inputs.  You touched on what I see is the heart of the matter...does the AMD Radeon HD video support sound via the DVI jack.  That's what I really need to determine.  I want to definitely know that sound is not supported before paying for another solution which may included having to get a different desktop altogether.  I never concidered a USB sound card...wonder if that's an analog or digital solution?  I will look into it.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation