Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am interested in connecting my microphone to my laptop via the combination headphone/mic 3.5mmjack. I initially connected my microphone (which ends in 3.5mm connector) directly into the port. This did not work as the microphone output is three poled and not four poled like the laptop's input. 

I then bought a 4 pole adapter that splits the headphone and mic channels. This worked once and then stopped working. I know the device works as the headphone channel works fine. Therefore I have two questions:

1. There are two 4 pole configurations: AHJ (also known as CTIA) and OMTP. The splitter I have is AHJ : is the laptop jack also AJH?

2. I believe the reason the mic does not work has to do with the default sound settings. Plugging in the device does not show any new devices. Are there are specific setting I need to set in order to utilize the external mic?

3. Do you have any recomended software or cheap adapters that could fix the problem? 

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Jack_House

The combo jack does not work with a stand alone microphone and 50/50 successful rate when using a splitter. Please try

https://www.amazon.com.au/UGREEN-External-Headphone-Microphone-Computers/dp/B016CU2PEU

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.