Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 23-c010xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had this desktop for years without any issues. I use external speakers connected to the audio jack in the back. Once you plug in external speakers (or headset), the internal speakers get disabled as expected.

Last night my PC automatically installed the Windows Anniversary Update (Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607). After this update, now both my internal speakers and external speakers are working at the same time! I cannot seem to disable the internal speakers without also disabling my external speakers. Lowering the volume affects both sets of speakers as well. I tried disabling audio and re-enabling but that didn’t help.

How can I get back to my original audio behavior where connecting the external speakers (or headset) to the back 3.5mm jack would automatically disable the internal speakers? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you Dvortex!

I could not select any of the other devices in Playback or Recording tab becuse it says they are "not connected". Updating drivers said I have the latest already.

But when I checked the other post, this fixed it! Now I only get audio from external speakers again... just like before and how it was supposed to be. Thanks again.

Windows 10. So I did some digging on a Microsoft support forum and I found this solution:  

• Go to device manager – Right-click on IDT high definition audio CODEC – Update driver software.
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” – Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  • Select “High Definition Audio Device” (Not IDT High Def...  This is important) and click Next. You will get a warning message but reply “Yes”.
  • Once windows have successfully updated the driver software, try playing the audio again and check.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @zgillman, Greetings!

Welcome back to HP Support Forums! I see that you are experiencing audio issues on your Envy laptop. I will do my best to assist you with this issue.

Try the steps mentioned to fix this issue:

• Go into Control Panel, then Sound.
  • Look for the Recording tab.
  • Select your microphone/headset as the default device, and press OK.

If you still face the same issue, then proceed with the steps below:

• Go to device manager (You can give a right click on windows logo on bottom left corner of your screen and select device manager from the list)
  • Now maximize the “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list. You will see the audio driver. Then give a right click on the audio driver and choose “Update Driver Software” option.
  • Choose the option which says “Search automatically for updated driver software”. Follow the on-screen instructions to update the current drivers.
  • Once done, restart the computer and check the sound.

Also, check the forum thread discussing the same issue: http://hp.care/2dp2XGl

Let me know how it goes! Good luck 🙂

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you Dvortex!

I could not select any of the other devices in Playback or Recording tab becuse it says they are "not connected". Updating drivers said I have the latest already.

But when I checked the other post, this fixed it! Now I only get audio from external speakers again... just like before and how it was supposed to be. Thanks again.

Windows 10. So I did some digging on a Microsoft support forum and I found this solution:  

• Go to device manager – Right-click on IDT high definition audio CODEC – Update driver software.
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” – Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  • Select “High Definition Audio Device” (Not IDT High Def...  This is important) and click Next. You will get a warning message but reply “Yes”.
  • Once windows have successfully updated the driver software, try playing the audio again and check.
HP Recommended

Hello @zgillman,

Great stuff! Really glad to know that my other post did help you to find the solution.

Please consider marking the post as "Accepted Solution" so to help other users to find the solution easily and quickly. Kudos would also be appreciated. 

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I accepted the solution yesterday. Please let me know if I didn't do it right.

I can't seem to find a link to accept it again...

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.