Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
580-023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I plug in my Razer Headset, I can hear desktop audio. But it says that my mic isn't plugged in. Whenever the mic is with my headset. I've tried troubleshooting many times and it just keeps saying that my mic isn't plugged in. When I try to replug it, it still shows that. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@barch Welcome to HP Community!

Usually such headsets come with two cables, one for the headphone and the other for the microphone, I suggest making use of a converter as shown in the image below to start using both headset and microphone, if that doesn't work, if you've already got the converter or you don't have two cables as such (a pic will help) follow the below steps:

There are a number of options in Windows sound settings that need to be configured so that the computer recognizes and works with the microphone. Use the steps below to modify the sound configuration as necessary for your microphone.

Open the Sound window

1. Connect the microphone to the computer.

2. In Windows, search for and open Sound.

The Sound window opens.

3. Click the Recording tab in the Sound window.

Figure : Recording tab in the Sound window

Recording tab in the Sound window
  4. Then use the following steps to troubleshoot the microphone.

Step 1: Make sure the computer recognizes the microphone

1. In the Sound window, click the Recording tab.

2. Right-click an empty area of the Sound window.

3. Click Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.

Figure : Disabled and disconnected devices shown in the Sound window

Disabled and disconnected devices shown in the Sound window
  4. If the microphone is listed as Currently unavailable or Not plugged in, disconnect it, then reconnect it to the port. If the microphone is still not detected, refer to the Check the microphone section of this document.

5. Test the microphone by speaking into it.

Look at the gray bars next to the device name on the Recording tab:

• If the gray bars next to the device name change to green, the device is active and an audio signal is passing through the microphone port. The issue should now be resolved.

However, you might still want to make sure the microphone is set as the default microphone using the Step 2: Setting the default microphone section of this document.

• If the bars remain gray and inactive, the computer is not recognizing a signal. Leave the recording tab open and refer to the Step 2: Setting the default microphone section of this document.

Figure : Sound window with Recording tab showing a detected signal for the Microphone device

Sound window with Recording tab showing a detected signal for the Microphone device

Step 2: Setting the default microphone

The microphone you want to use might need to be set as the default microphone. Follow these steps to set your microphone as the default microphone:

1. From the Recording tab of the Sound window, select the port that you want to use. There could be one or more ports.

2. If the device you want to use contains a small circle with an arrow pointing down, the device is disabled. To enable the device, right-click the device name and select Enable.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.