Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GClowes
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Line in jack provides no sound

HP Recommended

I have a problem with my HP Envy 810 desktop running Windows 10 but the procedures detailed in earlier responses do not work for me. Here's my problem:

1. I can use Line-In to record LPs and other audio input - i.e., the Line-In device is working as it should.

2. I can play back the recording through the PC speakers. The speakers are working fine.

3. But the speakers remain stubbornly silent during the recording process.

4. Input through the Microphone is the same - I can record the input but the speakers don't play during input.

What's the fix for this? 

3 REPLIES 3
ArickF2
Level 3
Level 3
62 62 3 8
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is normal for the speaker to remain silent during recording process so that it doesnt effect the recording quality.

If there is any sound from the speaker during recording then it may record two sound at the same time which will definately effect the quality of your recording.

Regards

ArickF2

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
ArickF2
Level 3
Level 3
62 62 3 8
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the kudos.  enjoy your recording and cheers..!!

mark the post as resolved if i answered your question and you are satisfied.

regards

arick

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
GClowes
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If I were recording with a microphone then it would be appropriate to mute the speakers -- but I can figure out how to do that without the computer being "smart" and doing it for me. Also, I am using Line-In, not Mic In, which means there is no  sound coming from the playback device (cassette or CD player, record player, etc.) and so there's no danger of audio feedback. So, it's reasonable to expect to hear the audio through the computer speakers.

I have used Line-in like this on my Sony laptop (Windows 7) and with a Sony desktop (Windows XP). Both operating systems automatically play the incoming audio through the speakers, as one would reasonably expect. If I wanted to mute the speakers, I could do that.

However, my new HP with Windows 10 inexplicably mutes the speakers when I use Line In and I can't figure out how to turn the speakers on during input. How do I make the computer do what I want to do and play the input through the speakers?

Incidentally, under Windows XP there was a Master Volume Control feature. The latter feature allowed you to see all input and output devices and easily change the volume level of any input or output device, change its channel balance, and mute it if needed. Unfortunately, Microsoft in its wisdom, eliminated that really helpful feature from current operating systems. OK, so it's gone and won't be coming back, but does anyone have any idea how to get around this silly muting of the speakers during audio input?  

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation