Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-205t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had just turned  computer on and had no sound. Trouble shooter said there was no device installed. I have no trouble with it for since I bought it Mar 2014. I have TWC cable. I tried using a different of speakers and still no sound. No sound from
CD either. I can't find out from HP when model sound card is installed, but I don't think that will do. I may be the Windows Anniversary upgrade by what I have been reading. I don't know how to check. Help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I  have my sound back with another suggestion. Go to device manager, double click IDT high definirion, click update, click search my computer, don't click IDT, but click High Definition, you will get warning, ignore and ok. My sound came back as soon as it was installed. Hope this might help some one else.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@freestar

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand you've lost the sound on your desktop computer,

No worries as I'd love to help, however, I need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

When was the last time it worked? did you attempt a system restore to an earlier known working time?

Did you attempt installing the latest drivers from the Official HP Website?

In the meantime, follow these steps below to help your cause:

1. Press Win+R (Windows key and R key) at the same time. A Run dialog will appear.

2. Type devmgmt.msc in the run box and click on OK button.

3. Find category “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list.  If you do not see this category listed there, follow steps below to get it back. 

• Select ‘Action‘ from the menu bar (If you only see ‘Help’ under this option, please click the blank place of the list pane then click ‘Action’ again. )
  • Select ‘Add Legacy hardwareAdd Hardware Wizard will come up. Click Next button.  (If Add Hardware windows don't appear, try the Final Solution.)
  • Select ‘Search for and install hardware automatically
  • If the message that the wizard did not find any new hardware comes up, click Next.
  • You should now see a menu of hardware types.
  • Scroll down until you see the Sound, video and game controllers option.
  • Highlight that option then select Next.
  • Select the manufacturer and model of the sound card and then click Next. For instance, if you are using Realtek audio card, select Realtek. (If you are not sure what manufacturer you should select, try the Final Solution.)
  • Click Next to install the device and click Finish.

4. Under this category, right-click on the audio device. Click Enable in the pop-up menu. (If the device is already enabled, disregard this step.)

5. If this does not resolve the problem, click Uninstall to uninstall the driver.

6. Restart your PC. After restarting, the system always can automatically load the sound driver, then the problem should resolve.

To help you further, if the issue persists: Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped many others: Click here

If you want to confirm the version of your windows, use the below screenshot:

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried before to do every thing you said with no success.  I clicked on IDT High Definition Audio CODEC to check on it.
Was told to reinstall. I had computer search on line for installation. When it tried to install got message,saying,a device attached is not functioning.  I didn't do a restore before problem.

HP Recommended

@freestar

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

You haven't mentioned if my assistance with checking the windows version helped nor provided the version of your windows for further assistance,

That said, please try if you have a sound using a headphone or an external speaker if you do it would confirm a hardware failure within the inbuilt speakers if the external devices aren't working either,

I recommend you create a new user account and check if that works - if it doesn't work either, Contact HP to set up a hardware service (Free of charge, if covered by HP Warranty).

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I  have my sound back with another suggestion. Go to device manager, double click IDT high definirion, click update, click search my computer, don't click IDT, but click High Definition, you will get warning, ignore and ok. My sound came back as soon as it was installed. Hope this might help some one else.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.