Kcferret
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Loud fan + static through speakers when CPU/GPU or mouse is active

HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I have only had this desktop since mid August and it runs fantastic however since day 1, there was always a rather annoying fan/vibration sound. It wasn't horrible but it was a bit louder than my previous HP. Now I am also experiencing snap crackle pop in the speakers pretty much all the time but it is worse when scrolling with my mouse or if my GPU/CPU is very active. If I load a website with many misc fields it is extremely bad. I have tried the following to resolve it:

Moved speakers around, nothing changes, no additional crackle etc

Replaced speakers

Moved cables

Plugged CPU and monitor directly into the wall

Turned off input and in line options such as the microphone

Turned off enhancements in the sound options

Checked drivers - all up to date

And last I even reset my PC to original settings just in case an update of some sort might have caused it

The sound itself from videos and games etc is fine through headphones. Mind you my computer has been in the same spot for 5+ years with no issues and moving it to another location doesn't change anything either so feedback from another electronic device seems unlikely.

I have a suspicion that the fan and/or motherboard might not be grounded properly but I wanted to check here if there is anything else I can try before I go the exchange route.  Many thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,615 3,972
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Kcferret

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums, the place you can come back to, for any concern or query as we as a community are eager to help,

That said, It'll be an honor to guide you through the steps needed to identify your concern and/or address your query.

Do these noises appear on a headphone as well?

Have you updated the BIOS to resolve the issue?

While you respond to that,

I have a few recommendations: 

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS 

• Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean 

• Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat 

• Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes 

• Selecting power saves settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use 

For more details: Click here 

If the issue persists, and/or the noises don't appear from the headphones but only the computer, you may want to go with either the exchange option or refer to my private message for more details.

please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, using the blue envelope: 

Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums

I hope your day gets better, good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Kcferret
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's only a month and a half old and the static sounds and fan sounds do not come through on headphones, only from the PC and attached USB speakers. I will see what I need to do to persue an exchange. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,615 3,972
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Kcferret

Thank you for responding,

This is the Riddle_Decipher, again!

Wise choice as this seems to be a hardware malfunction, I recommend you check with the store, although they would have only a 15day replacement policy depending on the store you've got it from, I hope it works out for you, in the off chance it has any hiccups, I suggest you use my private message to your advantage in resolving the issue without any hassle:

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, using the blue envelope: 

Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums

I hope your day gets better, good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation