Level 2
26 16 2 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Microphone Suddenly Stopped Working

HP Recommended
Pavillion 500-164
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I have a HP Pavillion 500-164 tower. An ancient system, but it has been running Windows 10 just fine. Everything is stock, except for upgraded Memory, PSU, and GPU. No issues after I installed that hardware.

About a week ago, the microphone inputs all stopped working. Playback works fine, any device. My computer has a IDT HD Audio in it. I have tried multiple microphones, front input jack, rear input jack, and even a USB sound card. No difference. The microphones still don't work, no matter which one, where, or what settings I use (Sound Settings).

I recently installed VB- Audio Cable software for some streaming I needed to do. I installed it about a week or two before these problems showed up, so the first thing I did was uninstall VB-Audio Cable. No effect.

Where should I start to trouble shoot this? I have tried all my microphones on another PC and it worked just fine, so I know that isn't the problem. I have tried plugging the USB sound card into different USB ports (that work just fine for every other USB thing I plug in). The USB card was Amazon recommended 4 out of 5 stars customer reviews. Just today I put in a (Amazon Link) Ceative Sound Blaster Audigy PCIe RX sound card.  Still doesn't work. I am completey stumped.

I can only think of two other things I could do. Completely format the entire computer or to blow the computer up and buy a new one. I'd rather do neither one of those.

Suggestions please! Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Raj1788
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,683 11,674 582 662
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@NDogLover,

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

This is a great place to get support, find answers 

I understand that you are facing issue with the microphone.

No worries, I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Have you confirmed the Microphone is listed in device manager?

Did you try an external microphone to check if that works?

Did you check for any other HP Forum posts to help resolve your concern?

If you haven't, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for the steps.

While you check that out, here're a few things you can do:

• Checking the microphone
  • Updating the audio driver
  • Using the Troubleshooting tool
  • Checking the sound settings
  • Raising the microphone volume level
  • Resolving microphone issues by disabling enhancements
  • Changing the format of the microphone
  • Resolving microphone issues when running more than one application at a time
  • Testing a microphone using Voice Recorder (Windows 10)
  • Testing a microphone using Windows Sound Recorder (Windows 😎
  • Microphone does not work with Skype or other Internet software
  • Microphone fails after a webcam or a USB microphone is installed
  • USB ports not recognized

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. Said that, if I have helped you resolve the issue.

If you like to appreciate my efforts clicking on 'Accepted as Solution'

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up'

Have a great day Ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation