Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC 15-eh2000 (4V3L7AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with the built-in microphone Array of my new laptop and it's driving me crazy. For some reason it just doesn't want to work. I use it for Skype and Discord but the other side can't hear me at all. When testing the microphone in sound settings I can see it detects some sound but only a tiny bit (reaches 5% max).

I have tried everything that's being suggested on the internet (re-install/update audio drivers, enabling permission in privacy settings, restart Windows Audio Service, set recording levels to 100%). I don't know what else to do and this way I cannot play games with my friends 😞

One thing to note is that sometimes when playing music the laptop ''glitches'' for about a second or two. The sound stutters and then disappears again. Not sure if this has any relation with the microphone issue though but I thought it was worth to mention...

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @m1997,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you. 

If your HP laptop microphone is not working, there could be a few different reasons for this issue. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can follow.

• Check the microphone settings: Make sure that the microphone is enabled and set as the default recording device. You can do this by right-clicking on the volume icon in the taskbar and selecting "Sounds". Then, click on the "Recording" tab and check if the microphone is listed and enabled. If it is not enabled, right-click on it and select "Enable".
  • Update drivers: It is possible that the microphone driver on your laptop needs to be updated. You can check for updates by going to the HP website and searching for your laptop model. Look for the audio driver and download the latest version.
  • Test the microphone: You can use the Windows Voice Recorder app to test if the microphone is working. Open the app and try recording your voice. If you can hear yourself, then the microphone is working. If not, then there may be an issue with the hardware.
  • Check the physical connection: Make sure that the microphone is properly connected to the laptop. If you are using an external microphone, check that it is plugged in all the way.
  • Restart your laptop: Sometimes, simply restarting your laptop can solve the problem.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.