Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy All-in-One PC 27-b0XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I followed the steps on here to unmute a mic through the "Sound Control Panel" and found the device that i needed to unmute but when i got to the step to press the unmute button nothing happened and the mic stayed muted... ive tried uninstalling the device in the device manager but then but still comes up muted and even then if i click it. it stays muted.. my headset that i use now does'nt have a extrenal mute button.. im totally stumped and dont know what to do im condsidering factory reset, but i really hope it doesnt come to that...

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Alec101,

Thank you for visiting the HP community and a good day for you. I read the post and will be glad to assist. Terrific observations and great analysis of the issue. Kudos to you for that.

• Did this occur after a software or Windows update?

Let's try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Then check the box delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers and follow the on-screen instructions.

This should fix the issue. If the issue continues, then perform all the relevant steps from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813 (HP PCs - Resolving Microphone Problems (Windows 10, 8)

Look for the link " HP PCs - Advanced Microphone Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 8)" at the bottom of the page if the issue persists.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.