Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
TouchSmart 520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just lost all audio (both speakers and headset) after a Windows update. I unsuccessfully attempted to update BIOS (no audio settings available) and looked for alternative drivers, including IDT High Def Audio CODEC, IDT High Def Audio, Realtek and High Def Audio Device. Nothing works. Does someone know how to get my audio working again? Running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, OS Build 17763.292. Plese help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this W10 IDT audio driver works for your model.  Restart the PC after installing the driver.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71717.exe

HP Recommended

I appreciate the help, but still no luck.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that driver didn't work for you.

There is one other thing you can try to see if you can at least get the sound back...

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device category.

1. Select the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC under that category.
2. Click on the Driver tab.
3. Click Update Driver button.
4. Select -> Browse my computer for driver software.
5. Select -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
6. Select High Definition Audio Device (Not IDT High Def... this is important.) and click Next.
A warning message may appear, ignore and click Yes.
7. Windows has successfully updated your driver software.
8. Restart the PC.
The key is step 6.

If that doesn't work either, you will either have to reinstall W7 or an older version of W10 where the audio still worked.

The newest builds of W10 are causing major issues with the IDT audio system and some wifi adapters.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.