Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq dx2000MT
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

This message relates to my attempts at problem solving on my Compaq dx2000MT, s/n HUB44406CW. I realise it is well out of warranty (almost a museum piece by now!) but it serves my purpose very well although I’ve had to change the OS to Windows 7 Pro; Microsoft would not let me reactivate XP Pro.  Apart from the absence of Aero (no problem) it works fine but I had a few problems with drivers, mostly solved.

The remaining problem I have is a total absence of audio output following the change of OS from XP to Windows 7. Because the AC97 driver appeared to be missing I downloaded Realtek v 6.0.1.6305 and installed it. Device Manager says it’s working OK but I still don’t have any audio, either from the internal speaker or either of the 3.5mm jacks – this despite the Desktop icon showing audio present, it can be muted and indicated level changed.   Question: Is this the correct driver or which one should I be using?  HP Support doesn't list Windows 7 for this PC.

3-in-1 Diagnostics USB Key won’t work on my PC; is there any other diagnostic aid which would identify (and solve) this problem?

Any assistance will be welcomed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad that Windows Update fixed the audio issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Try the vista audio driver from the d530.

This package contains the audio driver for the ADI AC97 Integrated Digital Audio Controller in the supported desktop models and operating systems. - Provides the initial release of the drivers for the supported desktop models and operating systems.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36501-37000/sp36530.exe

If that doesn't work, try manually installing the XP audio driver from your PC's support page.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp25501-26000/sp25991.exe

You should be able to manually install the XP graphics driver so you can change the screen resolution and have graphics acceleration.  You will not have Aero.

Here's how...

Download and run the XP graphics driver.  Close out of any error windows.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp25501-26000/sp25992.exe

Go to the device manager and click on the video controller needing the driver (it may also be listed under the display adapters device manager category as a Standard VGA Adapter).

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and at the bottom of that window, select the Let me Pick from a List of Device drivers on my computer.

Click on Have Disk and browse to C:\SWSetup\sp25992\Win2000\ialmnt5 (setup information file), select the Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller from the list, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick response.  Downloaded sp36530.exe (your first link) and tried to install it but got error message "your hardware does not support this" (or something similar)  However, before I could proceed to your next link Windows Update was initiated (not by me but possibly by the sp36530.exe installation failure) and at the top of the Updates Awaiting there was SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio which I clicked for updating.  Lo and behold, audio now present!

Apologies for not looking at Windows Update earlier but I had no reason to do so.  Whatever, all's well that ends well and many thanks to you for your part.

Wallace-YG

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad that Windows Update fixed the audio issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.