Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-430qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After recent Windows 10 update (last week), no sound from external speakers.  Trouble Shooter says it couldn't find an audio device and Device Manager does not even have a folder for "Sounds, Video and Gaming".  I see that this is a very common problem but I have not been able to locate an answer to it.  Any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Paul -

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.  I spent some online time with Microsoft support and tried a whole list of possible solutions to no avail.  Finally, they suggested that I restore my Windows 10 to the last version prior to my loss of sound (which was the last update I received).  I did that and my sound returned!  Thanks again.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works.

Go to the device manager, click on the View tab at the top of the device manager window.

Select the show hidden devices option.

Hopefully, you will now see the sound, video and game controllers device manager category showing up in light shade.

If you do click to expand that category.  Click on the IDT HD audio device listed there.

Select Uninstall and check the uninstall driver box.

Restart the PC and hopefully, the category will appear in the device manager normally again.

If it does, reinstall the W10 IDT audio driver from your PC's support page and restart the PC.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71717.exe

HP Recommended

Excellent advice - I actually stumbled upon the hidden files during my struggles.  Unfortunately, the "Sounds, Video and Game Controllers" still doesn't appear.

HP Recommended

That's not good.

Without that device manager category showing up, unfortunately, I don't know what you can do about resolving the problem.

You might need to buy a cheap sound card if your PC has a free PCIe x1 slot available.

HP Recommended

Paul -

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.  I spent some online time with Microsoft support and tried a whole list of possible solutions to no avail.  Finally, they suggested that I restore my Windows 10 to the last version prior to my loss of sound (which was the last update I received).  I did that and my sound returned!  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you got the sound to work again.

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same problem. And is the only temporary solution I have.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.