Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy Desktop 795-0050
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had this system since mid-September, and from day one when it wakes up from sleep mode there is no sound. If I run any of the troubleshooters while there is no sound, they either lock up or scan in perpetuity with nothing happening. The sound comes back after a reboot (99 time out of 100, sometimes 2 reboots are required). If I run the troubleshooters when the sound is working, no problems are found. I have uninstalled the device, tried updating drivers, rolled back drivers, followed the step-by-step solutions and any other suggestion that I could find and nothing fixes this. Also, I will occasionally get a system message that says that the speakers have been disconnected, followed immediatly by another message saying they have been reconnected, however there is no interruption in sound. I've switched speakers, no luck. The speakers are plugged into the back of the system, and when there is no sound I also have no sound from the front headphone jack. I have not checked with bluetooth to see if that sound also fails.

This desktop system is for work, and several hours were spent setting it up as such before this issue was discovered. It's a brand new system and if I have to ship it back to have it repaired it will be the last HP we purchase.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You have done most of the troubleshooting one can do to correct a driver problem.

Have you run HP hardware diagnostics?

There is one other check to do but it may not help; run a check disk (Link).

The following question is very important. Did this problem occur out of the box before you installed any software or drivers and before you received any Windows Updates?

The HP factory image is stable.

This sounds a lot like an integrated audio chipset problem on the motherboard. This means you may have to contact HP Support (Link) for warranty service. HP Support will probably tell you to back up data and do a HP factory recovery to see if the problem goes away before servicing the PC. The motherboard may have to be replaced.

A motherboard replacement also means you will have to backup the current OS to external media and be able to restore this image to your system. HP will reinstall the factory image on your PC's HDD before shipping the PC back to you.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for your input. The hardware diagnostics hasn't been any help. The biggest problem is that when the sound is working, it detects no issues. When the sound is not working, it hangs up and/or crashes.

I honestly can't say if this was an issue before any updates, because my IT unpacked the system and installed Office, Acrobat Pro and ran through any updates before I got my hands on it. I tried rolling back the driver, hoping if it was an update issue that the problem would go away. I also uninstalled the device and rebooted to let the system reinstall it. It's all very frustrating.

HP Recommended

Hi Gingerbeard,

You're very welcome.

Have to talked to your IT folks about this?

It really sounds like you have a hardware problem.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.