Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY AIO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Following Intel Driver update 8/6/2019 10.23.0.2843 applied today (02/12/2019) the Realtek HD Audio is no longer recognised. In device manager it is showing as device is not connected to the computer (code 45). Contacted Microsoft who suggested downloading HP driver SP98196 but this did not fix the problem. Currently therefore I have no sound at all. The only advice offered by Microsoft is to get a technician to check out the hardware which was OK before the intel update.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @emlynw

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the audio issue.

Let's try these steps -

Step 1 Run Audio troubleshooter -

1) In Windows, type "Find and fix audio" into Search, or right-click the speaker icon on the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.

2) Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.

Step 2 Re-install the Audio drivers -

1) In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

2) Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.

3) Right click on the Audio drivers and click on uninstall.

4) Restart the computer.

Also, try updating the computer - 

Step 3 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 4 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with the Intel driver.  The only way I can fix the no sound problem is by creating a restore point before the Intel driver is installed and then restoring the point after it is installed.  The only problem with this is the Intel driver will be automatically installed again after the time I have selected to pause updates.  It also means that other required updates to my computer can't be installed.  Intel needs to fix this problem.

HP Recommended

Hi TomX4,

Windows driver updates can sometimes cause problems. Guessing this is a Windows Update problem.

A workaround to possibly stop this can be done by doing the following:

Go to Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings.

Hardware

Device installation settings

Change this setting from "Yes" to "No".

This change should stop Windows device driver updates. This is going to stop all device driver updates so there is a downside to this fix.

Keep the restore point you have created as a backup if this does not fix the Intel driver update problem.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestion.  I tried it and it didn't work.  I still get the dreaded red "x" on the sound icon.  The problem update, as mentioned above, is "INTEL(R) CORPORATION – SYTEM - 8/6/2019 12:00 AM - 10.23.0.2843".  Every time it is installed, I get the red x.  Either Intel needs to fix this or HP does.  My only option at this time is to pause all updates for the allowed 35 days, create a restore point just prior to that date, accept whatever happens when Windows does an automatic update, and if I get the red x again, restore back to the restore point and again set up another 35 day pause of updates.  Hopefully, the problem will be corrected in the future.  If not, I guess I'll never get to update my HP computer again.

HP Recommended

In my case the offending Intel driver 10.23.0.2843 totally overwrote or removed the Realtek HD driver. If you go to device manager and open the sound tab you may well find that the reference to Realtek HD Audio device has gone. If you then click on view then show idden devices the device appears again in but in properties  it is showing as ‘ device is not connected to the computer (code 45)’. I have contacted Microsoft online and their suggestion of just reloading the Realtek driver was fruitless. They even suggested  I had a hardware fault, ridiculous !! I then made contact with HP directly, don't try their virtual agent as this is useless. If you go to https://support.hp.com/gb-en/contact-hp then login, provide your serial number you will then see the contact telephone number. Before you do so you may want to backup any personal files as in the worst instance you may have to perform a system reset,  just be prepared. Note the online support is only available 08.00 to 18.00. Once I made contact with HP  they took control over my PC and after trying a few things including testing the speaker we did perform a system restore of the C drive. But alas this did not fix the problem initially and they went away to investigate further. After another call a day later HP did manage to resolve the problem and reinstate a version of the Realtek HD driver. Interestingly after this exercise the next Microsoft update successfully reinstalled the original offending Intel driver. One other point to mention is that as I had performed a system restore it was also necessary to reinstall the display adapter Intel(R) UHD Graphics 360 driver as when viewing mp4 files the sound was OK but no video was displayed . This was easily fixed. Overall it took me a few days to overcome  the problem but is now resolved thanks to HP phone support. If you phone HP at least you will know that they already encountered and fixed the problem at least once.

Good luck

HP Recommended

I think I may have temporarily worked around this problem by restoring my system to a restore point before the Intel Driver update, and then blocking that update using the instructions here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-rei... - specifically the instructions in the "Choose your automatic updates" section.  I ran that troubleshooter, hid the  Intel Driver update 8/6/2019 10.23.0.2843, and now that driver update is no longer showing up in the Windows Update tool.

HP Recommended

W-Smith, I wanted to try your workaround but the link you gave was cut off and I couldn't get to the instruction.  It cut off at the end of the link at "-update-from-rei...".  What comes after the "rei"?  Thank you for your post and thanks go to Emlynw for the info about going to HP.  I was considering that but I first tried going to Microsoft.  I talked to a tech in some faraway country for about 2 hours with him taking over my computer.  He finally gave up and just left.  So I'm a little reluctant to go to another tech.  Most of them are just reading from a script.

HP Recommended

Hi TomX4

Believe me if you contact HP support direct you will not be fobbed off as I was when I went to Microsoft. HP demonstrated a will to fix the problem. They have clearly have a varied amount of knowledge and helped me in a very friendly professional manner. Trust me they will fix your problem and furthermore they even contacted me a few days later to ask if everything was still going OK. Noting your comments about reading from script from my experience the HP support team do not do that. Please note I do not work for HP like you I just purchased their brand.

HP Recommended

The link I posted was cut off.  Try this one:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.